Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Spectacular Sides: Stuffed Mushrooms

My first time making stuffed mushrooms!

I bought fresh white button mushrooms recently, and could not believe how big some of them were.  I couldn't help but try my hand at stuffing them!  Had I thought of it earlier, I would have taken a "before" picture to show you how big they were.

There are innumerable ways to make stuffed mushrooms & variations on what you can stuff them with -- cheese, seafood, breadcrumbs, etc.  To keep things simple, I opted to make a low carb, protein & dairy-free version.  I could not find many recipes that fit the idea that I had in mind, so I just made something up on my own.   These are divine!  Hubs complimented me many times on how much he enjoyed them.


Stuffed Mushrooms

Ingredients:
1 stalk celery, diced small
6 button mushrooms
1 carrot, grated fine
1 green onion, diced
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Saute' diced celery in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until slightly tender.  I used just the natural oil in the celery in lieu of nonstick spray or olive oil.  Meanwhile, remove stem from mushrooms.  Slice off the bottom end of the stem & discard.  Chop mushroom stem and place in medium bowl.  Add remaining ingredients including saute'd celery, mixing with a spoon until well-blended.  Spoon stuffing into cavity of each mushroom.  Place stuffed mushrooms, stuffing side up, on baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment