Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Corned Beef and Cabbage


Tonight's meal is a traditional Irish dish that I created to commemorate St. Patrick's Day, prepared slow-cooker style. I combined recipes that I found from Betty Crocker and Pillsbury, tweaking them up to make them my "own." I really thought that I'd have enough leftover corned beef to make sandwiches for supper Sunday night. Uh-uh, not going to happen. My husband and daughter LOVED this meal, the corn beef in particular. Both had seconds (hubs actually had 3rds). And I have no corned beef left. Crazy! This was a 2 1/2 lb roast! I'm extremely flattered at how much the family enjoyed this meal, so it was a perfect fit for St. Patty's Day.

Slow-Cooked Corned Beef and Cabbage
Ingredients:
2 - 3lb corned beef brisket
2lb small potatoes, scrubbed clean and left whole
2 cups baby-cut carrots
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup cider vinegar (note to self: the carrots absorbed the flavor of the cider vinegar and had a rather sharp taste)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
water
1 cabbage, cut into wedges


Directions:
Place potatoes, carrots and onion in bottom of slow-cooker. Cover with corned beef. If corned beef came with a seasoning packet, sprinkle contents on top of roast. Otherwise, if no seasoning packet, add 1 tsp mustard seed. Add cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Pour enough water to slow-cooker until it reaches the level of the brisket without covering it. Place cabbage wedges on top of roast. Cover and cook on low for approximately 10 hours.


This post is linked to Debbie's Crock Pot Wednesdays at Dining With Debbie. Yummy slow-cooker recipes galore this week! (And lots of Corned Beef & Cabbage recipes, too. :)

3 comments:

  1. That's what we had for dinner too. It was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a popular choice for St. Patrick's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. anything slow cooked and I'm there!

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts