Monday, July 19, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: Spicy Tex-Mex Roast & Vegetables


We've had an absolute over-abundance of peppers in our garden this year. I don't mean the bell pepper variety either. My husband's father gave us two flats of hot & spicy varieties, and they are thriving! I had bought a huge roast and needed a way to cook it up, and the thought occurred to me to try out the spicy peppers with this roast. And it worked! The flavor was absolutely delicious. It packed heat, but not so spicy that you would burn your tongue off (and I do not like spicy-burn-your-tongue-'til-it-bursts-in-flames food) so it definitely received my stamp of approval. The roast and natural juices muted the spicy bite so you had the heat and tons of pure, delicious flavor.

Literally, it was delicious! And since it was a large roast, I have plenty of leftovers for another meal.

Spicy Tex-Mex Roast & Vegetables

Ingredients:
1 large beef roast, 6-8 lbs
4 med. potatoes, peeled & quartered
4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
4 hot banana peppers, seeded and chopped
2 sweet banana peppers, seeded and chopped
4 cayenne peppers, seeded and chopped
1 med. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half

Directions:
Place potatoes on bottom of 6-qt slow cooker and add roast. Cover roast with remaining ingredients. Add lid and slow-cook for 8-10 hours.
If freezing: After slow-cooking the roast and vegetables, divide the roast up into meals. Serve roast for first meal, and place remaining meals in freezer bag or food saver, then freeze. I got 8 meals out of my roast. I probably would have gotten a 9th meal, but the roast was sooo good! We definitely ate our fair share. :)
Visit Dining With Debbie for lots of creative ideas for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment