I started making smoothies for breakfast a little over a year ago to give the family something that was not only different but nutritious and delicious. Hubs and I have tried to be very conscious about what we eat as well as what we serve to the children--ingredients, portion sizes, food combinations, etc. We have our moments and indulge in food that is sinfully delicious, I must admit.
But, overall the changes we made a little over a year ago have improved our health as well as our appearance. Hubs lost about 60 pounds, and I lost 45. I'm quite self-conscious when it comes to my weight, so I don't speak much about it and what I did to lose it. I'd rather ignore the fact that I have a weight problem. But I will try to post recipes & small tips here & there on occasion. Maybe it will help me become more comfortable talking about it...
At the very least, keep in mind a few tips when I post a recipe: for meat, I trim the fat & serve small portion sizes; we use fat free sour cream/cream of mushroom/chicken soup; and in lieu of mayonnaise we use plain nonfat Greek yogurt. I'll try to be more specific when I posts my recipes here on out =).
Orange & Bok Choy Smoothie
2-3 stalks bok choy, fronds/leaves removed & discarded (we feed these to our chickens--they love them!)
1 navel orange, peeled (unlike bok choy fronds, our chickens do NOT like orange peels, so these get turned into compost)
6 oz vanilla nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup 100% apple juice
Cut bok choy stalks into 1-2 inch-size pieces. Separate orange wedges. Place all ingredients into a blender (I use a Magic Bullet that hubs bought me last year -- love it!). Blend until all ingredients are chopped & liquified & mixed together well. This takes probably 5 seconds with the Magic Bullet.
If you want to add a little color to your smoothie, throw in 2-3 blackberries or raspberries. :)
- Healthy Apple Stir Fry Sauce
- Wok's For Dinner: Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
- $1 Coupon Off Naked Juice!
- Wok's For Dinner: Seafood Soup
- Bad Quality?
- Free Ovaltine Sample Pack!
- Homemade Fat Free Raspberry Salad Dressing
- Spectacular Sides: Stuffed Mushrooms
- A Better Breakfast: Kale & Mushroom Saute'
- Wok's for Dinner: Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Snapfish: All The Prints You Want Just 1 Cent Each...
- A Better Breakfast: Orange & Bok Choy Smoothie
- TruMoo Milk: The Verdict
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork & Egg Noodle Skillet
- ▼ October (14)
- ► 2010 (216)