I found this recipe in the May/June 2009 Taste of Home: Simple & Delicious magazine that I got for free earlier this year. The original recipe says to use ground beef; I used ground sausage instead to give it more of an Italian sausage flavor (this is supposed to be like pizza, after all :). Here's my version:
Pizza Pasta Toss
2 cups uncooked pasta, your choice (I used straight macaroni)
1 lb ground sausage, beef, or turkey
1 can sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 medium onion, diced fine
1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup diced pepperoni
4-1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
grated Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the meat, mushrooms, bell pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the diced tomato, pepperoni, sugar and seasonings; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Drain pasta; stir into meat mixture and heat through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese when serving.
If freezing: Prepare as directed, omitting the Parmesan. Place pasta mixture into a gallon-size freezer bag, seal and freeze. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. Heat in microwave or in a saucepan on the stove. Serve with grated Parmesan.
We all loved this meal, especially my daughter, who literally inhaled hers then proceeded to ask for seconds. What a surprise result! Even my husband commented that this was a really good meal. It isn't every day that such compliments from my kids & husband get sent my way!! I will definitely need to write this recipe down in the family cookbook. :)
- ► 2010 (216)
- Family Night: Halloween
- Wok's For Dinner: Skinny Nachos
- I found this recipe in the May/June 2009 Taste of...
- Melissa's Public Service Announcement
- Freezer Meals Tools Of The Trade: Food Processors
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken With Mexican Mole Sauce
- Menu Plan Monday--10/12-10/18/09
- Free Earrings At Darcus Tori!
- Earn Points & Prizes at SheKnows
- Add Flavor, Not Calories: Garlic/Parsley
- Wok's For Dinner: Lemon Grilled Chicken
- The Goody Bag
- Wok's For Dinner: Turkey and Bean Tacos
- Menu Plan Monday:10/5-10/11
- Out of Commission...Sort Of
- Wok's For Dinner: Garden Ranch Pasta Salad With Ch...
- ▼ October (16)