Monday, October 12, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Chicken With Mexican Mole Sauce


The first, and I think only, time I had Chicken Mole was in my Junior year of college. I was a Student Worker in the Custodial Services office, and one employee brought Chicken Mole to an office party. I loved how it tasted, and I was really surprised that it was made with chocolate. So when I was planning my September freezer menu, I did some searches to find a good-tasting Chicken Mole recipe, since it had been on my mind for some time. And this is the recipe that I found and worked with to create tonight's meal.

Chicken With Mexican Mole Sauce

Ingredients:
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (10.75oz) condensed tomato soup
1 can (4oz) diced green chile peppers

Directions:
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook the onion and garlic in the oil until tender. Mix in cocoa powder and cumin. Stir in the tomato soup, green chile peppers and cooked chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, over and simmer 10 minutes. Serve.

If freezing: After simmering, place all ingredients into a gallon-size freezer bag, squeeze out air, and seal. Flatten bag out and freeze. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. Place chicken mixture into a microwave-safe bowl, cover with a paper towel, and heat in microwave 4-5 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.

This was fairly good. It smelled just like enchiladas when I heated it up, but it didn't taste like enchiladas. It wasn't quite like what I remember, but then again, the last time I had Chicken Mole was about 13 years ago. I liked it, but I think it would be one of those meals that gets made like once or twice a year at the most, at least this particular recipe. It could have used some seasoning, so I would add 1/2 to 1 tsp salt and some ground pepper next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment