Monday, October 5, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Turkey and Bean Tacos

This was originally supposed to be Turkey and Bean Tostadas, but I'm still not 100% over this sinus infection, and so I just didn't want to bother with baking the tortillas to make tostadas. So I changed it up a bit and we had tacos instead, which worked out fine since they are easier for the kids to eat than the tostadas would have been.

Turkey and Bean Tacos

Ingredients:
6 flour tortillas
1 lb ground turkey
1 packet taco seasoning mix
2/3 cup water
1 can chili beans in sauce, undrained
Toppings of your choice: we had shredded leettuce, shredded four cheese blend, diced tomato (fresh from our garden!), diced avocado, and sour cream

Directions:
Cook ground turkey in skillet, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning, water an chili beans; heat until hot. Divide turkey mixture evenly among tortillas. Top with your favorite taco toppings.

If freezing: Prepare ground turkey as directed above. Once turkey is cooked, add taco seasoning, water and chili beans. After mixture is heated through, allow to cool then place in quart-size freezer bag and place in freezer after sealing. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. Heat in skillet or saucepan and serve on tortillas.

I have to say, I really liked this meal. I don't usually put beans on my tacos, but I liked them with this meal. My daughter helped make the tacos and "built" them herself--adding all the toppings. I just put on the taco meat since it was hot. It made a great freezer meal for me, and the whole family gobbled their tacos up. This is one recipe that will go in our list of favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment