Friday, March 28, 2014
My son's Cub Scout troop had their Pinewood Derby tonight at our church, which hosted a hot dog supper for the scouts and everyone who participated. The sides & desserts were potluck. I made my first ever Bread Pudding, which I almost didn't make because I first thought that it would be too complicated. Lo and behold, I received compliment after compliment. One gentleman said it was the best Bread Pudding he'd had since his mom made it...70 years ago! Without a doubt, the nicest & bestest compliment I could have received for a first time Bread Pudding maker. :D
BTW, our son had a blast racing his car. He didn't win but had fun hanging with his Cub Scout buds. On the other hand, his sister made a pinewood derby car and raced in the family derby, winning 3rd place! We are thrilled with the job both of our kiddos did.
Onto the recipe!
1 loaf bread, sliced & torn into chunks
2 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter or margarine
3 cups skim milk
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dried cranberries (or raisins, if you prefer)
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp imitation vanilla
1 tsp imitation rum extract
Arrange torn chunks of bread in bottom of a 13x9" baking dish. Microwave 3 Tbsp butter or margarine in a small bowl for about 10-15 seconds; mix in 3 Tbsp cinnamon and 3 Tbsp sugar then brush on top of bread. In a medium bowl, mix together milk, 4 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar and dried cranberries. Pour over bread and let sit one hour. Heat oven to 350 F. Set baking dish into a large baking sheet. Add enough water to baking sheet to fill it about halfway (this prevents the bread pudding from scorching). Bake 1 hour until set and slightly browned. Meanwhile, melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick) in a medium bowl in microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir in sugar. Microwave an additional 15 seconds. Stir, then slowly add 1 beaten egg, stirring constantly while adding egg. Stir in vanilla and rum extract. Poke holes in bread pudding with a knife, poking all the way to bottom of pan. Pour rum sauce over bread pudding. Serve & enjoy!!
- Harris Teeter Produce Rewrap Deals: 3/29/14
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/31/14-4/6/14
- Wok's for Dinner: Poultry Seasoned Meatballs
- Spectacular Sides: Baked Italian Bread With Herb B...
- Dollar General: coupon for $5 off $25 purchase
- Save A Lot 3-day Sale: 3/28/14-3/30/14
- Delicious Desserts: Bread Pudding
- Checkout 51: Get Cash Back For Shopping!
- Harris Teeter General Mills Promo
- Harris Teether e-VIC Specials 3/28/14-4/1/14
- Wok's For Dinner: Venison Stroganoff & Pretzel Bun...
- What's on Sale This Week #2: 3/26/14 - 3/29/14
- Kellogg's Family Rewards -- 1000 points bonus code...
- What's On Sale This Week #1: 3/26/14-3/29/14
- Menu Plan Monday: March 24, 2014
- Spectacular Sides: Pudding Fruit Salad
- Spectacular Sides: Vegetable & Basil Pasta Salad
- Spectacular Sides: Healthy Carrot & Craisin Salad
- What's On Sale This Week #2: 3/19/14 - 3/22/14
- Wok's For Dinner: Balsamic Chicken Salad
- What's on Sale This Week #1: 3/19/14-3/22/14
- Wok's For Dinner: Pizza Casserole
- A Better Breakfast: Banana & Vanilla Smoothie
- Removing Those Nasty Cobwebs
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow Cooker Corned Beef
- Kids Craft: St. Patrick's Day Hand Rainbow & Pot O...
- Delicious Desserts: Apple-Pear Crisp
- Food Lion Shopping Trip: 3/14/14
- Check Those Sales Receipts
- Harris Teeter Shopping Trip: 3/14/14
- ▼ March (30)
- ► 2010 (216)