Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Our house has 2 nights designated for desserts--Monday night, which is our dedicated family night with special family activities; and Friday night, which is the "finally the weekend is here & we can relax!" night. The kids always look forward to dessert night, making sure to remind me so I don't forget.
I admit that I look forward to our dessert nights, too. I try to steer clear of desserts that are heavy and rich, partly so my hips will thank me, and partly to keep the kids' teeth from rotting with so much sugar! LOL But mostly to keep things at least semi-healthy without sacrificing taste.
Earlier this year, I bought some Spring-themed chocolate chip morsels that were marked down at a rock-bottom price (I paid about $1.20 per bag, which is about as low as it goes in my neck of the woods). I've tried coming up with some creative ways to using them, and decided to try them as part of the frosting for a cake.
I'm not a big fan of traditional cake frosting. When I do have cake, I usually prefer to go without any frosting. When I do frost a cake, I'll use some melted butter and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top. Or whipped topping.
I happened to have some whipped topping in the fridge and decided to make a cake for our dessert night.
Not just any cake--a trifle cake! Which I've never made before, to be honest. I had an idea in my head of what I wanted to do and put together the following version, which the kids drooled over and said was really, really good. After taste-testing myself, I had to agree that it was delicious and without the weighty, heavy, sugary taste that usually accompanies a cake!
1 box chocolate cake mix, prepared (I used Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge)
1 - 3.4 oz instant banana pudding mix
2 cups milk
8 oz whipped topping
chocolate chip morsels
caramel syrup ice cream topping
Cut cake into 1-2-inch size chunks. Place half of cake chunks into bottom of large bowl. Prepare pudding according to package directions, using 2 cups milk. Layer 1/2 prepared banana pudding, then 1/2 whipped topping, then some chocolate morsels and a little caramel syrup on top. Repeat all layers. Chill or serve immediately.
- What's on Sale #1: Now Thru 5/3
- Spectacular Sides: Sweet Potato Fries
- Delicious Desserts: Chocolate Trifle
- Free eBooks:Quick & Easy Paleo, Top 40 Quinoa, Qui...
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooker: Teriyaki Chicken Dr...
- Delicious Desserts: Chocolate Chip Banana Cream Pi...
- Free Sample: Eucerin Lotion
- Menu Plan Monday: 4/28/14
- Wok's For Dinner: Tacoless Taco
- Save A Lot 3-Day Sale: Now Thru 4/27
- Harris Teeter e-VIC Specials: Now Thru 4/29/14
- Mambo Sprouts: Healthy & Organic Item Coupons
- What's on Sale: Today Thru 4/26
- Earthbound Farm Reusable Bag
- Free Sample: Poise LIner Pad
- Free Sample: U by Kotex!
- Free Sample: Purina Healthy Weight Cat Chow
- Save-A-Lot 3-Day Sale: Now Thru 4/20
- Harris Teeter e-VIC Specials: Now Thru 4/23
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow Cooker Venison Meatloaf (Qu...
- What's on Sale: 4/16/14-4/19/14
- Free Sample: New Ban Total Refresh Cooling Body Cl...
- Spectacular Sides: Fried Eggplant
- Wok's for Dinner: Chicken Broccoli Shells
- Free Sample: Biolage
- Menu Plan Monday: 4/14/14-4/20/14
- What's on Sale #2: 4/9/14-4/12/14
- What's on Sale #1: 4/9/14-4/12/14
- Celebrate Wimpy Kid Month
- Wok's For Dinner: Coconut Shrimp & Mussels
- Menu Plan Monday: 4/7/14 - 4/13/14
- Wok's For Dinner: Taco Casserole
- Freebies in my Mailbox: Finish Dishwashing Sample
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet & Sour Dogs
- Free eBooks: Herbs & Spices, Canning & Preserving,...
- Check Those Sales Receipts!
- Harris Teeter e-VIC Specials thru 4/8/14
- Balancing Act Basics: In Your e-Mailbox!
- Wok's for Dinner: King Ranch Chicken
- What's on Sale This Week #2: 4/3/14-4/5/14
- What's on Sale This Week #1: 4/2/14-4/5/14
- French's Coupons Available: Mustard and More!
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham & Swiss Pizza
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Venison Strips
- A Better Breakfast: Sausage Piggies
- ▼ April (45)
- ► 2010 (216)