Sunday, April 6, 2014
These are always fun and tasty! And there's something to be said about fresh pineapple...mmm, mmm, good! Oddly enough, the pineapple that I used for this meal had the most seeds that I've ever seen in a fresh pineapple. Thankfully, it did not affect the taste. It was oh-so-delicious!
Another thing that I like about this meal is that you make your own sauce for the dogs. Who needs ketchup? :D
Sweet & Sour Dogs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cup apple juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp orange zest
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 lb kielbasa sausage / bratwurst / polish sausage and / or hot dogs (I used half bratwurst & half hot dogs)
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
1 green bell pepper, cut in chunks (optional)
1 med. onion, cut in chunks (optional)
Preheat broiler in oven. Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, apple juice, cider vinegar, orange zest, garlic & onion powders in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils and thickens. Thread skewers with alternating sausages and / or hot dogs, pineapple, and, if desired, bell pepper and onion chunks (I opted out of the bell pepper and onion this time since I was making a large batch). Brush kabobs with sauce mixture. Broil for about 5 minutes, turn skewers over, brush with sauce, and broil an additional 5 minutes.
Note to self: I doubled the recipe to ensure we had leftovers for lunch later in the week, and I have WAY more dogs & pineapple than I have skewers. Time to invest in new ones!!
- What's on Sale #1: Now Thru 5/3
- Spectacular Sides: Sweet Potato Fries
- Delicious Desserts: Chocolate Trifle
- Free eBooks:Quick & Easy Paleo, Top 40 Quinoa, Qui...
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooker: Teriyaki Chicken Dr...
- Delicious Desserts: Chocolate Chip Banana Cream Pi...
- Free Sample: Eucerin Lotion
- Menu Plan Monday: 4/28/14
- Wok's For Dinner: Tacoless Taco
- Save A Lot 3-Day Sale: Now Thru 4/27
- Harris Teeter e-VIC Specials: Now Thru 4/29/14
- Mambo Sprouts: Healthy & Organic Item Coupons
- What's on Sale: Today Thru 4/26
- Earthbound Farm Reusable Bag
- Free Sample: Poise LIner Pad
- Free Sample: U by Kotex!
- Free Sample: Purina Healthy Weight Cat Chow
- Save-A-Lot 3-Day Sale: Now Thru 4/20
- Harris Teeter e-VIC Specials: Now Thru 4/23
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow Cooker Venison Meatloaf (Qu...
- What's on Sale: 4/16/14-4/19/14
- Free Sample: New Ban Total Refresh Cooling Body Cl...
- Spectacular Sides: Fried Eggplant
- Wok's for Dinner: Chicken Broccoli Shells
- Free Sample: Biolage
- Menu Plan Monday: 4/14/14-4/20/14
- What's on Sale #2: 4/9/14-4/12/14
- What's on Sale #1: 4/9/14-4/12/14
- Celebrate Wimpy Kid Month
- Wok's For Dinner: Coconut Shrimp & Mussels
- Menu Plan Monday: 4/7/14 - 4/13/14
- Wok's For Dinner: Taco Casserole
- Freebies in my Mailbox: Finish Dishwashing Sample
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet & Sour Dogs
- Free eBooks: Herbs & Spices, Canning & Preserving,...
- Check Those Sales Receipts!
- Harris Teeter e-VIC Specials thru 4/8/14
- Balancing Act Basics: In Your e-Mailbox!
- Wok's for Dinner: King Ranch Chicken
- What's on Sale This Week #2: 4/3/14-4/5/14
- What's on Sale This Week #1: 4/2/14-4/5/14
- French's Coupons Available: Mustard and More!
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham & Swiss Pizza
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Venison Strips
- A Better Breakfast: Sausage Piggies
- ▼ April (45)
- ► 2010 (216)