Sunday, April 6, 2014

Wok's For Dinner: Sweet & Sour Dogs


These are always fun and tasty!  And there's something to be said about fresh pineapple...mmm, mmm, good!  Oddly enough, the pineapple that I used for this meal had the most seeds that I've ever seen in a fresh pineapple.  Thankfully, it did not affect the taste.  It was oh-so-delicious!

Another thing that I like about this meal is that you make your own sauce for the dogs.  Who needs ketchup? :D

Sweet & Sour Dogs

Ingredients:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cup apple juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp orange zest
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 lb kielbasa sausage / bratwurst / polish sausage and / or hot dogs (I used half bratwurst & half hot dogs)
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
1 green bell pepper, cut in chunks (optional)
1 med. onion, cut in chunks (optional)

Directions:
Preheat broiler in oven.  Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, apple juice, cider vinegar, orange zest, garlic & onion powders in a small saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils and thickens.  Thread skewers with alternating sausages and / or hot dogs, pineapple, and, if desired, bell pepper and onion chunks (I opted out of the bell pepper and onion this time since I was making a large batch).  Brush kabobs with sauce mixture.  Broil for about 5 minutes, turn skewers over, brush with sauce, and broil an additional 5 minutes.

Note to self: I doubled the recipe to ensure we had leftovers for lunch later in the week, and I have WAY more dogs & pineapple than I have skewers.  Time to invest in new ones!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts