Friday, April 18, 2014

Wok's For Dinner: Slow Cooker Venison Meatloaf (Quick & Easy Version!)


This recipe was exactly what I needed for tonight's dinner.  I knew it would be a busy day, so I planned a slow cooker meal specifically for that reason.  I actually planned on meatloaf, crossed it off the menu and wrote down something else, but completely forgot about that other meal and still made meatloaf.  It wasn't until my son pointed it out to me that I realized what I had done.  Oh well!

What I love about meatloaf is that it can be thrown together so quickly and that it is such a versatile dish.  You can put just about anything into a meatloaf.  With cheese / without.  With ketchup glaze / with tomato sauce glaze.  With breadcrumbs / with oatmeal.  Your choice!

I literally had 15 minutes after getting home to have supper, not just on the table, but actually EATEN and kids out the door to get to soccer practice on time (which, by the way, thank you, soccer coach, for NOT calling to let me know that practice was canceled and, thank you, for letting me be the ONLY parent that was aware of that).

The moral of the story is, if you want a versatile meal that is easily put together and and ready to place in front of your crowd seconds after it's done cooking, then meatloaf in your slow cooker is the way to do it!

Slow Cooker Venison Meatloaf

Ingredients:
1 lb ground venison (or substitute ground turkey or ground chicken)
1/2 cup quick oats
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 Tbsp wild game tamer (or substitute 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce)
1 pkg onion dip mix (or substitute 1 pkg dried onion soup mix, or 1 small onion chopped + 1 tsp salt)
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried mustard
1/4 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp ground pepper
ketchup (or substitute your favorite meatloaf glaze)

Directions:
Place all ingredients, except ketchup or glaze ingredients, in a 3-qt slow cooker.  Mix together well.  Pat down until the meat mixture is flat and level.  Cover crock with lid and cook on low for 6-7 hours.  Right before serving, squirt ketchup or spread glaze on top of meatloaf.  If you have 15 minutes to spare, then wait 15 minutes before removing meatloaf from crock and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts