Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Freezer Meals Tools of the Trade: Freezer Bags

There's one freezer meal storage system that I just don't think that I could live without:

Freezer Bags

With freezer bags, you can buy the expensive version or save your money and go generic or store-brand. I've had the same results either way. Freezer bags are nice because they're thicker than traditional storage bags, so they'll preserve your food better in the freezer.

Liquidy meals work best in freezer bags, at least that's been my experience. If there's one thing that I don't like about freezer bags, it's that they're tricky to get the food into. My bags tend to one to spill over! And they get a little mesy if the liquid gets all over the bag.

I've learned to fold the top of the bag over. It keeps the top of the bag from getting messy while I try to put my meal into the freezer bag.

I didn't have my head screwed on too well, otherwise I would have taken a couple more pictures to demonstrate filling the bag up and sealing it.

You do want to make sure to squeeze as much of the air out of the bag before you seal it close. Also, let your food cool off before placing into the freezer bag. If the food is too hot, the bag could burst. Even if the bag does not burst, then the steam from the food will condense in the freezer and form ice crystals, which could cause freezer burn.

Once you've got your food sealed up in the freezer bag, put the bag on a flat surface and flatten it out. It'll fit better in your freezer, and you can stack several bags of meals this way.

Happy freezer cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts