Friday, September 11, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Poultry Seasoned Meatballs

This was a recipe from my grandmother. I've never made it before, and I don't think I've ever had it at my grandma's, so tonight was the first time I got to try it.

Poultry Seasoned Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
10 Ritz crackers, crushed fine
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 small onion, diced fine
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 Tbsp poultry seasoning
1 can tomato soup (I chickened out on this ingredient and used a can of cream of chicken)
1 Tbsp oil

Directions:
Mix all ingredients well except soup and oil. Shape mixture into small meatballs. In a large skillet, put in oil and brown meatballs on all sides on medium heat. Place meatballs into a covered bowl and drain all but 1 tsp of oil from skillet. Turn heat to low and put in tomato soup (or cream of chicken). Stir well, scraping the meat drippings into the skillet. Fill soup can 3/4 full of water; pour into skillet with the soup and stir well. Return meatballs to the skillet and let simmer 20-30 minutes on low heat. If freezing: Prepare as directed. After simmering meatballs in soup, allow to cool. Place in freezer bag, squeeze out air, seal & freeze. Thaw 24 hours in fridge. Put in microwave-safe bowl and heat in microwave 5-7 minutes, stirring meatballs about halfway through the cooking time.

I've come to realize that I'm the world's worst meatball-maker. That is, my homemade meatballs simply don't look pretty (if in doubt about my sincerity, just take a look at the pic of tonight's meatballs!). They just didn't hold up well while cooking in the skillet. That being said, these tasted fabulous! I can't believe that I waited so long to make them. Perhaps one day I'll learn how to keep them from falling apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts