Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Pineapple Ginger Chicken

The bizarre thing about this recipe is that I got it at a bizaar. haha ;) I don't remember what the person was selling, but she swore by this recipe that she claimed her daughter created. I tend to horde recipes, so I thought, "why not?" and added it to my collection. I've only made it once before (several years ago, in fact), and it didn't turn out so well. A little too bland for my tastes. But I didn't quite give up on it, figuring it just needed a little tweaking. I decided to give it another try and included it in my August freezer meal menu, and this is the recipe that I came up with:

Pineapple Ginger Chicken

Ingredients:
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 small can crushed pineapple in juice
1 small can pineapple rings in juice

Directions:
In a skillet, heat oil. Brown chicken on both sides. Season with garlic powder. Cook until chicken is almost white inside. In a separate bowl, mix garlic powder, brown sugar, ground ginger, and crushed pineapple with juice. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook covered on low heat for 20-30 minutes. To serve, place a pineapple ring on each piece of chicken. Serve over rice or sesame noodles.

It definitely turned out much better this time. The original recipe used just a pinch of ginger, and didn't even state how much garlic powder to use, so I had to guess. I like a bit more spice, so just a pinch doesn't work for me. And using it as a freezer meal worked out good--it froze well and was easy to just heat in the micro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts