Thursday, September 10, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Orange Stir-Fried Chicken

The last time I made this, it didn't go over too well with my husband. He doesn't like oranges very much, and the orange flavor in this dish was too overpowering for him. And so I completely avoided making this meal, but I got tired of always trying to please everyone else. I like oranges and I can't go on avoiding meals that I know I like but no one else wants to eat. So I added it to my August freeze meal plan and thought I'd give it another chance and see if I could win my husband over this time.

Orange Stir-Fried Chicken

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp grated gingerroot or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
juice of one orange
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup carrot, coarsely shredded

Directions:
Trim fat from chicken breast halves. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch strips. Mix soy sauce, 1 tsp cornstarch, ginger, and garlic in medium bowl. Stir in chicken. Cover and refrigeratoe 30 minutes. Mix orange juice and 2 tsp cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved. Heat oil in skillet over high heat. Add chicken mixture; stir-fry until chicken turns white. Add carrots; stir-fry about 3 minutes. Stir in orange juice mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 30 seconds or until thickened. If freezing: After cooking as prepared, allow dish to cool. Place in quart-size freezer bag, squeeze out air, seal and freeze. Thaw 24 hours in fridge. Heat in microwave-safe dish or in skillet.

Two words: loved it!! I sautee'd some shredded cabbage and mixed it with this meal and served over rice. The orange flavor was not overpowering like last time, and hubs raved about how good it was. Raved! I'm well-pleased. I'll have to remember to use the cabbage again next time; I really think it helped all the flavors blend really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts