Saturday, September 12, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Beef Stroganoff

There's probably a hundred different ways to make Beef Stroganoff. For meat, you can use ground beef, sirloin, round steak, and if you don't want beef, you could use chicken or pork. For sauce, you can use a can of mushrooms or just a can of cream of mushroom soup; you can use sour cream, nonfat plain yogurt or cream cheese. I've even seen a recipe that used tomato paste instead. You can serve Beef Stroganoff over rice, noodles mashed potatoes, toast, between two slices of bread, on hamburger buns, or plain. I've tried abot 10 different versions, but I always fall back on this one, a recipe that I got from my friend Jenna when we were roommates in college. It is my favorite. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't care for any way that I prepare Beef Stroganoff. The problem is that I don't make it like his mom does. In fact, Beef Stroganoff is the only thing that she beats me at. Whoopity doo! I tried her recipe, it didn't work out, so I'll stick to the recipes that I like. I don't make Beef Stroganoff very often, for the simple fact that I don't like hearing hubs complain. But I like it a lot, and I learned a long time ago that I can't please everyone.

Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (4oz) mushroom stems & pieces
1 can (10.75oz) cream of mushroom
1 pkg (8oz) sour cream

Directions:
Brown ground beef and onion in skillet at medium-high heat. Reduce heat and add soup and mushrooms. Heat about 20 minutes. Remove from fire and add sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.

If freezing: Cook as directed, but do not add sour cream. After cooling down, place in freezer bag, squeeze out air, seal & freeze. Thaw 24 hours in fridge. Place in microwave-safe bowl and heat in microwave 3-4 minutes. Stir in sour cream, then heat an additional 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Serve.

Well, I loved it! My son ate his all up. Before tasting it, he asked me, "Mommy, do I like this?" Of course, I told him yes. My daughter has been in a funny mood regarding supper for several nights now, and so she didn't eat much of her dinner tonight. On the other hand, my husband had seconds on the stroganoff! For someone who doesn't like it, he sure loaded up. He did, however, put his second helping of stroganoff between two slices of bread and added some cheese. Whatever makes him happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts