Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Pork Satay

I've never, ever made this meal before. Never even tasted a satay. Is it an Indian meal? I suppose so because it's made with curry. But it was something we've never had before, and it was in my cookbook, so I thought it was time to try it out and added it to my August freezer meal list. I was really, really nervous about eating it. I get that way about trying something out that's completely different and out of the ordinary. Kinda' weird I suppose, to get nervous about eating food!

Pork Satay

Ingredients:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp curry powder
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, optional
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs cubed pork loin

Directions:
In a large bowl, blend soy sauce with peanut butter. Stir in brown sugar, curry powder, lemon juice, red pepper and garlic. Add prok cubes. Toss to coat sides evenly. Cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight. When ready to cook, thread pork cubes on skewers. Broil 4-5 inches from flame for 15-20 minutes or until well done.

If freezing: Prepare as directed. I did not broil mine; instead, I stir-fried the pork in a large nonstick skillet with the sauce. Place cooked pork mixture in a freezer bag and freeze. Thaw 24 hours in fridge. Place in microwave-safe bowl and heat in microwave. You could also make this a dump recipe--place raw, never frozen pork in a freezer bag and add sauce mixture, then freeze. While thawing in fridge, the pork will marinate in the peanut butter mixture. You could then broil as directed, or stir-fry in a skillet or wok.

There was a little too much sauce for the amount of pork I had cooked up. I didn't weigh it, but I'm fairly certain it was under 1 lb instead of 1 1/2 lb as called for in the recipe. I was afraid of the curry being to overpowering, so after heating up, I actually "cleaned off" the sauce with a bunch of paper towels. That being said, it tasted really good. My fears were laid to rest! haha It definitely turned out better than I thought it would, and I think taking off most of the sauce helped. Even my kids didn't complain about the satay...too much. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts