When I moved from Texas to North Carolina, I was miserable. I missed the wide, open spaces of Texas. I missed Texas-shaped pasta and Texas-shaped tortilla chips. I missed Tex-Mex food (like Mexican food but better...way better). And that's just the icing on the cake. I missed a lot of things. There's just something about being a Texan that other places simply don't compare. Not that there's anything wrong with other places. It's just, how can I explain, different, I suppose.
Anyhow, one thing that I had to get used to after moving here was the language. Yep, the language. Things are said and done a little differently in North Carolina. If there's one word that Texas and North Carolina have in common, it's "y'all" as in "you all" or "everyone." Although, since moving to North Carolina, I rarely say "y'all" anymore. I've learned the North Carolinian language, but I refuse to speak it. I guess it's that stubborn Texas pride that says, "No, I'm not going to say it that way. I'm going to stay true to my Texas roots!"
Without further ado, here's how to speak North Carolinian, at least enough for you to get by. This may come in handy if you ever venture out to my neck of the woods, or if you ever come across a North Carolinian. :D
A Few North Carolinian Words
*cut off the lights -- translates to turn off the lights
*pocket book -- ladies, this is your purse
*buggy -- shopping cart
*barbecue -- In Eastern North Carolinian, this is chopped pork with vinegar barbecue sauce; in Western North Carolinian, this is chopped pork with ketchup/tomato barbecue sauce (a far cry from a good ol' brisket where I come from!)
*tea? -- sweet tea, always sweet tea, and they drink a lot of it around here
*pecan (pronounced pee-can) -- pecan (pronouned p'con)...I absolutely REFUSE to say peecan!!
*chicken pastry-- chicken & dumplings
By no means is this a complete list, but again it will help you "get by" if you ever occasion to speak to a North Carolinian. :)
What about you? Have you heard some strange sayings where you live? Share them with me so I can learn to speak your language, too!
- ► 2010 (216)
- Wok's For Dinner: Spirit Night at Chick-fil-A
- When Kids Grow Up
- Balance Your Life: A Spiritual Perspective
- Wok's For Dinner: Baked Fish Au Gratin
- Make Your Own Bug Juice
- The Goody Bag
- Gardening Club
- Wok's For Dinner: Cheesy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- And the $210+ Coupon Giveaway Winner Is...
- Giveaway Round-Up
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- Menu Plan Monday: 4/27-5/3/09
- About Me
- Wok's For Dinner: Frosted Cauliflower
- Frugal Family Fun at the Air Show
- Expired Grocery Coupons--Worth Saving!
- Get on Board A Coupon Train
- Wok's For Dinner: Honey Garlic Shrimp
- The Open Toed Shoe Pledge
- B.A.B. $210.00+ Coupon Giveaway!!
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos
- Guest Post on Once a Month Mom!!
- Coupon Goodies
- Wok's For Dinner?: Lemon Parsley Chicken
- Save on Ziploc® Brand Flexible Totes or Big Bags
- Earn Rewards for Being Healthy!
- Taste of Home Freebies
- Wok's For Dinner: Beef Teriyaki
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Fajita Crescent Braid
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiche...
- Chocolate Giveaway!
- Wok's For Dinner?: Crunchy Baked Chicken
- Angel Food Ministries Part II
- And the got2b winners are...
- Go Green the Frugal Way
- Once A Month Mom Stock Your Kitchen Giveaway!
- Pace Hand-Pick & Win Game
- Free Foil on Earth Day!
- Angel Food Ministries, part 1
- Target Deals
- Wok's For Dinner: Barbecued Babyback Ribs
- got2B smooth operator -- bloggie giveaway!!
- Frugal Focus
- I Can't Believe It's Food Storage!
- How to Speak North Carolinian
- Giveaway--Learning to Live Financially Free
- Free Child Safety Kit From Polly Klaas Foundation
- Enter to Win $150 Worth of Eco-Friendly Products
- Vocalpoint--Help Influence Future Products
- Register for French's® Coupons
- ▼ April (50)