Sunday, April 12, 2009

How to Speak North Carolinian

When I moved from Texas to North Carolina, I was miserable. I missed the wide, open spaces of Texas. I missed Texas-shaped pasta and Texas-shaped tortilla chips. I missed Tex-Mex food (like Mexican food but better...way better). And that's just the icing on the cake. I missed a lot of things. There's just something about being a Texan that other places simply don't compare. Not that there's anything wrong with other places. It's just, how can I explain, different, I suppose.

Anyhow, one thing that I had to get used to after moving here was the language. Yep, the language. Things are said and done a little differently in North Carolina. If there's one word that Texas and North Carolina have in common, it's "y'all" as in "you all" or "everyone." Although, since moving to North Carolina, I rarely say "y'all" anymore. I've learned the North Carolinian language, but I refuse to speak it. I guess it's that stubborn Texas pride that says, "No, I'm not going to say it that way. I'm going to stay true to my Texas roots!"

Without further ado, here's how to speak North Carolinian, at least enough for you to get by. This may come in handy if you ever venture out to my neck of the woods, or if you ever come across a North Carolinian. :D

A Few North Carolinian Words
*cut off the lights -- translates to turn off the lights
*pocket book -- ladies, this is your purse
*buggy -- shopping cart
*barbecue -- In Eastern North Carolinian, this is chopped pork with vinegar barbecue sauce; in Western North Carolinian, this is chopped pork with ketchup/tomato barbecue sauce (a far cry from a good ol' brisket where I come from!)
*tea? -- sweet tea, always sweet tea, and they drink a lot of it around here
*pecan (pronounced pee-can) -- pecan (pronouned p'con)...I absolutely REFUSE to say peecan!!
*chicken pastry-- chicken & dumplings

By no means is this a complete list, but again it will help you "get by" if you ever occasion to speak to a North Carolinian. :)

What about you? Have you heard some strange sayings where you live? Share them with me so I can learn to speak your language, too!

2 comments:

  1. I love the list...I wish I had that before we moved here! I still have a hard time understanding people here (if there were born and raised here anyway) ...Plus you should add *Mash... (instead of push)....like 'mash down that start button on the microwave'

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one! I had forgotten about that. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts