Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wok's For Dinner?: Crunchy Baked Chicken

I promised in my last post that I would add the recipes to this blog for anyone interested in my once a month mom cooking menu. I have decided to start a new series called Wok's For Dinner?, designed to help you take the guess work out of figuring out what to make for dinner. I'll try to provide you with healthy recipes, some of my family favorites, and even meals that I've come across the blogosphere.


Without further ado, here's my first recipe for ya'!

Crunchy Baked Chicken

I found this recipe at Taste of Home a couple months ago. I tried it out and the entire family enjoyed it. My kids are very picky meat eaters (my son has told me many times that he does not like chicken) but both had a blast eating the chicken right off the bone. You can make the chicken with or without the skin. Since we enjoyed it so much, I decided to add it to my Once a Month Mom (OAMM) menu for April's freezer meals.


Ingredients:
1 egg
1 tbsp milk
1 can (2.8oz) french-fried onions, crushed
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
Dash pepper
1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-4lbs), cut up
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions:
In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. In another shallow bowl, combine the onions, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, paprika, salt and pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then roll in onion mixture.

Place in a greased 13-inx9-in baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 50-60 minutes or until juices run clear.

Yield: 4-6 servings

Nutrition Facts:
One serving:
Calories: 418
Fat: 28 g
Saturated Fat: 11 g
Cholesterol: 148 mg
Sodium: 423 mg
Carbohydrate: 8 g
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 32 g
Of course, if you remove the skin before eating, your calories, fats, etc. would be less! :)

Variations:
  1. Instead of a broiler/fryer chicken, substitute chicken legs, drumsticks, or wings. I've made this recipe twice and didn't have a fryer. The first time I used chicken leg quarters, and they cooked up fantastic. I used chicken legs only when I did my OAMM cooking.
  2. Also, you can add 1 tbsp garlic powder to your bread crumb mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts