Sunday, August 2, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Hash Brown Pork Skillet

This meal wasn't on my menu plan for this week. We were supposed to have Old World Manicotti. Hubs & our son were also supposed to be home by now. But they extended the vacation a few more days, so I decided to postpone making the manicotti dish since it's one of my husband's favorite meals. Besides, he owes me BIG for extending his vacation. I've gotta come up with something really good...

Hash Brown Pork Skillet (from Taste of Home: Simple & Delicious, May/June 2009 pg 57)

Ingredients:
4 cups frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed (I cooked them up from frozen)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper (I used red bell pepper)
2 Tbsp butter
2 cups cubed cooked pork (the pork was raw when I cooked it up but it still cooked up nicely)
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp all-purpose flour (I omitted this)
1/2 cup milk (I omitted this)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I ommitted this)

Directions:
In a large skillet, cook the potatoes, onion and green pepper in butter over medium heat until almost tender. Stir in the pork, bouillon and pepper. Since my pork was raw, I actually cooked it with the potatoes & vegetables. (Note: I ommitted the following steps) In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; add to skillet. Cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.

If freezing: let hash brown mixture cool, then place in gallon-size freezer bag. Squeeze out air, seal, flatten out, then place in freezer. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. Heat in microwave or on stove in a skillet.

This made a great freezer meal. It cooked up quickly, froze well, and was easily reheated. My daughter insisted that she didn't like potatoes, but as soon as she took a bite, she was hooked and quickly gobbled everything up. So I think it was a hit with her. :) I think this would make a great breakfast meal, too, with a little scrambled egg. You could substitute the pork for ground sausage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts