Wednesday, August 12, 2009

August OAMM Menu Plan

Updated 8/22/09: Removed Hotch-Potch from the menu (I didn't buy the roast needed for this meal); changed Stuffed Pork Chops, Stuffed Bell Peppers and Barbecued Beef Ribs to nonfreezer meals.

It's that time again! Well, ok, I admit it, I procrastinated, so it's actually past time. :) Time for my freezer meal plan for the month of August. I feel like I just created my July menu, so it was a little difficult for me to get the motivation to make a menu for August.

I coordinate my freezer meal cooking day with my Angel Food Ministries order pick-up day. Click here to find out why I purchase some of my food from Angel Food Ministries and a little bit of information about the ministry. I typically purchase 1 regular/signature box (which is about 1 week's worth of food for a family of four for only $30) and 1 fruit/vegetable box (loaded with fresh fruit & vegetables for $22) (you can view the full AFM menu here). It really takes the hassle out of bargain hunting in this over-priced town.

This month's freezer meal cooking extravaganza will be August 22, the 4th Saturday of the month. I created my menu at work during my lunch hour today, using mostly recipes in my homemade cookbook for the most part. This is a cookbook I put together several years ago for the women in our family, using tried & true family and friend recipes. So I suppose you could say that the theme for this month's meals is "Family and Friends." :)

After creating my menu, however, I realized that I will actually have MORE meals than days in the month until my September freezer meal day. Not by much, and some things I can use as a weekend lunch meal, so I guess it'll work out in the end. :) There were definitely a lot of meals I wanted to make, but I had to stick with the meats I have on-hand based on the deals I found during the month. Sometimes it's just so hard to choose!

Boy, I sure digress! I know you're waiting with baited breath. ;) So here's the menu. As always, I will share the recipes with you throughout the month. :)

Freezer Meals
Barbecues -- a recipe from my husband's Aunt Eunice
Beef Stroganoff -- a recipe from my roommate in college, Jenna O.
Hamburger Noodle Bake -- a recipe from my Great Aunt LaVerne
Spaghetti & Italian Meatballs -- a recipe from my stepmother
Meatballs & Gravy -- a recipe from my husband's Aunt Eunice
Poultry Seasoned Meatballs -- a recipe from my Grandma Rees
Stuffed Bell Peppers -- a recipe from my Aunt Sandy 8/22/09 change to a nonfreezer meal (didn't have time to make this)
Tomato Pasta Bake -- a recipe from my friend Didi
Taco Casserole
Beef 'N Spice -- a recipe from my stepmother
Barbecued Beef Ribs 8/22/09 changed to a nonfreeze meal; thought it would come out better if cooked up fresh
Chicken and Squash
Hotch-Potch -- removed 8/22/09
Don't Know The Name But It's Delicious -- a recipe from my Aunt Sandy
Pork Satay
Stuffed Pork Chops -- a recipe my Aunt Sandy gave me, but I think she got it from the back of a box of Stove Top 8/22/09 changed to a nonfreezer meal; thought it would come out better if cooked up fresh
Chicken Tacos
Creamy Chicken & Chile Enchiladas -- a recipe from my friend Teri
Lemon Chicken
Onion-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Orange Stir-Fried Chicken
Chicken & Egg Noodles -- a recipe from my Aunt Sandy
Pineapple Ginger Chicken -- I got this recipe at a bizarre; I don't even remember what the lady was selling, but she had this recipe written down on recipe cards
Rice Casserole -- a recipe from my friend Charly
Mexican Chicken -- a recipe from a friend at work
Creamy Chicken Italiano -- a recipe from my friend Melissa long before she created Melissa's Bargain Blog
Family-Size Baked Burrito -- a Pampered Chef recipe


Nonfreezer meals & carry-over from July
Italian Chicken
Shrimp & Broccoli Pasta (Taste of Home: Simple and Delicious May/June 2009)
Baked Pork Chops With Apples (Taste of Home: Thanksgiving magazine 2008)
Baby Back Bash Ribs (these are SOOO good! I bought another rack of country style ribs so I could make another batch)
Cobb Style Chicken Sandwich
Chicken Nuggets

Fish Sticks

Added 8/22/09 (removed from freezer meal list above):

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Barbecued Beef Ribs

Stuffed Pork Chops

If there's one thing I do wish, it's that I had gotten recipes from my mom before she passed away in 2001. She made the most fantastic pies, and unfortunately, I don't have a single recipe from her. My stepfather wasn't too generous about letting me go through my mom's things, and to this day, I'll think of things my mom owned that I wish I could get. But my stepfather kept what he wanted and sold the rest in a yard sale. Alas, that's a story for another day.

Anyhow, my goal this month is to do several postings about freezer meal cooking--tools of the trade, planning a freezer meal cooking day, etc., etc. So be on the lookout for those postings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts