Monday, August 24, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Sticky Chicken

This was a freezer meal that I made in July. It didn't look so pretty after being frozen for a month, so I didn't take a picture of it. I got the recipe from the Taste of Home: April & May 2009 magazine.

Sticky Chicken

Ingredients:
I used 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this meal, so I cut the rest of the ingredients listed below in half
16 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, abought 3 lbs
1/2 cup your favorite barbecue sauce
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup liquid honey or maple syrup
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp grated gingerroot (I used ground ginger)
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp cornstarch

Directions:
Preheaet oven to 400F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange chicken thighs in pan in a single layer. Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour evenly over chicken. Turn pices to coat both sides with sauce. Bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm. Carefully pour sauce from pan into a small pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Combine cornstarch with an equal amount of water and mix until smooth. Add to the sauce. Cook until sauce is bubbly and has thickened, about 1 minute. Serve hot chicken with extra sauce on top.

Sadly, the only person who really enjoyed this meal was our daughter. She chowed down on hers and even had seconds, repeating, "Mmm, I love chicken!" the whole time. I had to convince my son to eat 3 bites, but he's not a big chicken eater, so that was no surprise. I thought it was "okay." A little spicy. This was a freezer meal from July. The chicken and sauce definitely didn't look anything like the picture in the magazine, even after cooking it up before I froze it. It looked even worse after thawing it and didn't look any better after heating it in the microwave. Hard to describehow the sauce looked--kind of grainy, I suppose. Hubs said that it was too sharp.

I'm still interested in making this again, but perhaps another version of the recipe. Or maybe it'd be better eating it fresh-made instead of as a freezer meal. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for a different recipes. Anyone got any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts