I have been searching high and low for the perfect Advent Calendar since hubs and I got married nearly 9 years ago, a tradition I've wanted to add but haven't been able to. Everything I find is either too expensive or just not what I'm looking for. I finally found the "perfect" Advent Calendar at Target this year.
The problem with this particular Advent Calendar was more than one problem. It was shaped like a little wooden house, and the "roof", which was made of pine cones, had some missing pieces. One of the little wooden doors had a missing knob. And there were scratches in the paint. It was the last one they had, and the product had been discontinued, so I knew that I couldn't come back later to see if they had any more.
Since it was damaged and the last Advent Calendar in stock, I could have gotten a 10% discount off the price. It was also on sale, so under normal conditions, that would have been an excellent deal to get an extra 10% off.
But I had to weigh the pros & cons. I loved it. I absolutely loved it. And I haven't loved ANY of the Advent Calendars I've come across (I'm rather picky!).
So I decided that I couldn't wait any longer, and I made my own advent calendar.
I have a shadow box frame that I bought last year, which I had painted in a crackle finish and added embellishments like the wooden "Family" word and the ribbon. On the inside of the shadow box, I glued down a sheet of magnetic paper. For the past year, I've had a "scrapbooked" style family photo there.
I decided to change this shadow box into an Advent Calendar for this season. I took out the family photo, and put up a sheet of scrapbook paper that had the numbers 1 through 25, as you can see in the picture. Since the paper behind was magnetic, I added a few magnets. Two of the magnets hold the numeric paper onto the magnetic paper. The third magnet, a Christmas tree, is for the date. The kids take turns each morning moving the Christmas tree to the number that corresponds with the current date on the calendar.
Thus, a homemade Advent Calendar!
My plan is to use it this year, and continue looking for the "perfect" one. If hubs were a carpenter, instead of an electrician, I'd ask him to make one for me like the one I saw at Target. Alas, he is not. So the search will continue, but at least I have a jump start to finally including the Advent Calendar as one of our holiday traditions. And I can keep the numerical scrapbook paper, so I can pull it out again next year if I still don't find what I'm looking for. :)
- ► 2010 (216)
- Food Storage & 72-hr Kit Weekly Purchase List
- Wok's For Dinner: Easy Enchiladas
- Wok's For Dinner: Grilled Chicken Salad
- CVS Rocks!! The CVS Green Bag Tag
- Stockpiling Your Food Storage for 2010
- Wok's For Dinner: Spaghetti & String Cheese Meatba...
- Wok's For Dinner: Stuffed Pork Chops
- December Freezer Meal Extravaganza Recap
- Menu Plan Monday--12/28-1/3/10
- Holiday Traditions: Feeding the Reindeer
- Holiday Traditions: A Visit From Santa
- Wok's For Dinner: Mexican Pork Chops
- Bargain Buy
- Holiday Traditions: Driving & Looking At Christmas...
- Wok's For Dinner: Tortilla Casserole
- Holiday Traditions: Re-enacting Luke 2
- December OAMM Menu
- Menu Plan Monday: 12/21-12/27/09
- Wok's For Dinner: Crockpot Beef Fajitas
- Holiday Traditions: De Ball Cookies
- Wok's For Dinner: Parmesan-Crusted Pork Chops
- Holiday Traditions: Holiday Lights & Train Ride
- Wok's For Dinner: Bisquick Quiche
- Holiday Traditions: The Christmas Parade
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Tacos
- Holiday Traditions: Advent Calendar
- Wok's For Dinner: Barbecued Beef
- Holiday Traditions: Santa Under the Tree
- Menu Plan Monday: 12/14-12/20/09
- Wok's For Dinner: Minestrone Soup
- Holiday Traditions: Elf on a Shelf
- Holiday Traditions: Hiding The Pickle Ornament
- Wok's For Dinner: Beef Stroganoff
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork Cooked in a Pickling Style ...
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Fajita Crescent Braid
- Wok's For Dinner: Calico Beans
- I found this recipe in a free cookbook I received ...
- Santa and the Christmas Spirit
- Wok's For Dinner: Country Ham & Macaroni Casserole...
- Wok's For Dinner: Hotch Potch
- Menu Plan Monday--12/7-12/13/09
- Wok's For Dinner: Family-Size Baked Burrito
- Wok's For Dinner: Turkey Shepherd Pie
- ▼ December (43)