Monday, December 7, 2009

I found this recipe in a free cookbook I received from Jiffy several months ago. It's one of those warm, hearty meals perfect for a cold, crisp Fall or Winter night!

Chili Corn

Ingredients:
1-1/2 lbs ground beef (I just used 1 lb)
1 pkg taco seasoning mix, reserving 1 tsp
1 can (10.75oz) condensed tomato soup
2 cans (16oz)chili beans

Topping:
1 pkg Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
reserved 1 tsp taco seasoning mix

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 3-quart casserole dish. In skillet, brown ground beef and drain. Add taco seasoning mix, soup and chili beans. Let simmer while preparing topping. Combine topping ingredients, blend well. Pour meat mixture into prepared dish and spoon topping over meat mixture. Bake uncovered 15-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

If freezing: Prepare chili ingredients as directed and freeze in gallon-size freezer bag. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator, then continue preparing as directed.

I forgot to mix the cheese with the topping ingredients, so I sprinkled the cheese on top. I baked this in a 10x8-inch baking dish, and it took 25 minutes for the cornbread topping to cook through. I'm not sure if it's because the cheese was on top, or not. But this meal was really good, and hubs liked it a lot. My son liked the whole thing, but my daughter only liked the cornbread part. Still, it was a good meal overall. :)

1 comment:

Previous Posts