Tuesday, June 23, 2009
This meal has become a staple in our home. It's a convenient meal to make because I just chop up some vegetables and throw everything into a Crock-Pot. The meal then cooks itself. What's even better is that I can use the chicken for more than one meal. After everything cooked up, I used half of the chicken for tonight's meal with the vegetables, and I froze the other half of the chicken which I will use when I make Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken and Rice). Plus, I put the chicken bones back into the crock and added some water, set it to low, and within an hour or so I'll have homemade chicken broth that I will freeze and use to make rice and other meals. Using a wole broiler/fryer chicken is definitely a great value!
I don't think that I make this meal the same way twice, but this is what I did when I put everything in the crock this morning:
Chicken In A Pot
3 carrot sticks, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery stocks, diced
4 small-medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
3lb broiler/fryer chicken
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano (I almost used the fresh oregano from my garden, but didn't feel like going outside to get any, so I settled for the dried version)
1/2 cup water
Put vegetables into bottom of Crock-Pot. Add whole chicken. Top with seasonings & herbs. Slowly pour water over top of chicken. Cover; cook on low 8-10 hours or high 3 1/2-5 hours (use 1 cup water instead of 1/2 cup if using high setting).
I chopped up the vegetables and put everything into the crock this morning before heading out to work. Hubs didn't have to work today, so he was able to take the crock out of the fridge and turning it on about 10am to the low setting (one of these days I'll buy one of those Crock-Pots that has a timer, but for now I'll just rely on hubs if I use my crock in the middle of the week :). Everything was ready to eat at 6pm. The chicken was so moist and tender and easily fell off the bone. The veggies were full of flavor. My daughter refused to eat the carrots, but I taught her a trick to drink a sip of milk with a bite of carrot, and after trying that, she decided that she "loved" her carrots. Whatever works!
- ► 2010 (216)
- America's Yard Sale
- New & Reset Coupons Available!
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
- Cheap Family Fun: Minor League Baseball
- Wok's For Dinner: Barbecued Sloppy Joes
- Wok's For Dinner: Herbed Chicken
- Menu Plan Monday: 6/29-7/5
- Portrait of a Healthy Mom
- Wok's For Dinner: Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken & Rice)...
- When The Going Gets Tough...
- Great Giveaway at Melissa's Bargain Blog!
- Wok's For Dinner: Salads and Texas Pete
- Please Pardon The Interruption
- Tip O' Me Hat To: The Happy Housewife and Her Itch...
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken In A Pot
- June OAMM Cooking Results
- Wok's For Dinner: Baby Back Bash Ribs
- Menu Plan Monday: 6/22-6/28
- How to Get More Bricks Coupons
- Wok's For Dinner: Grilled Zucchini
- Wok's For Dinner: Crunchy Baked Chicken
- The Goody Bag
- Reynolds Kitchens Grilling Guide
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork (Turkey) Tenderloin With Gl...
- The First to Respond Wins
- Menu Plan Monday--6/15-6/21
- Wok's For Dinner: Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Zesty Italian Pasta
- Show Those Weeds Who's Boss
- FREE Sundiwear Stickers
- Breaking the Grocery Store Code
- "You've Had a Birthday...
- And The Winner Is...
- Wok's For Dinner: Parsley New Potatoes
- The Goody Bag
- Check your receipts
- Wok's For Dinner: Parmesan Chicken
- Last Day for Coupon Giveaway
- Storing and Preserving Fresh Herbs
- June OAMM & AFM Order
- Wok's For Dinner: Stir Fry Beef & Broccoli
- Menu Plan Monday--6/8-6/14
- The Anti-List
- Wok's For Dinner: Don't Know The Name But It's Del...
- Tip o' Me Hat To Moms By Heart
- Wok's For Dinner: Apricot-Glazed Pork (Turkey)
- B.A.B. Giveaway--Coupons, Coupons, Coupons!
- Did You Get Your Free Float at Sonic?
- June Once A Month Menu--Coming Soon
- Our Garden Visitor
- The Salad Spinner
- Wok's For Dinner: Cordon Bleu Casserole
- The Goody Bag
- Pasta & Spice Giveaway @ $5 Dinners
- ▼ June (54)