In a previous post, I shared with you a recipe for Apricot Glazed Pork (Turkey). When I was preparing for my May freezer meal cooking day, I couldn't find any decently-priced pork tenderloin. But I found turkey tenderloin. And since some of the ingredients for Apricot Glazed Pork and Pork Tenderloin With Glazed Onions were the same, I combined the recipes and cooked the turkey tenderloins together. Then I froze in separate freezer bags, and on cooking day, I simply heated it up. It is soooo good! At least, my version is. :)
And since we have summer squash and zucchini coming out of our ears, I needed a "new" squash recipe. Back when I single, I used to make Stuffed Zucchini all the time. That stopped when I got married. Hubs was not interested, to say the least. I've considered making it just for myself, but the zucchini at the grocery stores here are often scrawny, not good enough for stuffing.
But the zucchini that I grow...huge! Grande! Ginormous! In other words, perfect for stuffing. And I've made a commitment to myself to do more experimenting and trying out new foods. Whether it's something I've had before (but hubs hasn't because he refused it) or I've never had but sounds tasty, it's worth trying out new and different things. And for our family, Stuffed Zucchini is different because I haven't made it in over 8 years.
There's really no "set" recipe, at least not one I've come across. I just threw stuff together one day long, long ago, and it turns out differently each time. But here's a best guess recipe:
2 large zucchini
1 medium carrot
1/4-1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp dried or 1 Tbsp fresh herbs, your choice
1/4 cup shredded cheese
Slides ends off zucchini, then cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out inside of zucchini. Don't scoop out too much because you don't want to poke a hole through the skin. Place scooped-out zucchini into a medium-size bowl. Slice ends off carrot, peel, and grate; add grated carrot to bowl with zucchini. Add remaining ingredients to zucchini mixture. Tonight, I used 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, picked right out of my garden! Since it was fresh, I chopped it up with a knife before adding to the bowl. Mix all ingredients together, then spoon into zucchini "boats." Place stuffed zucchinis onto a baking sheet. Bake in 350F oven for 20-30 minutes, until zucchini is tender and stuffing is lightly golden brown.
The kids had dinner with their grandmother before going to Vacation Bible School this evening, so they have no comment on how anything we had for supper tasted. But hubs loved everything, including--surprisingly--the Stuffed Zucchini! In fact, he ate TWO! Cha-ching! I'm so glad that he is opening his mind to eating new and healthier items. I think growing our own food in the garden has really helped. He gets so excited when we can pick something from our garden. If he's had a bad day, he can go out to the garden, find something that has just exploded in growth, harvest it, and it's a completely therapeutic experience for him. So nice!
And the Turkey Tenderloin With Glazed Onions? Really tender, sweet, and juicy. The sauce reminded me of a barbecue sauce, but better. Waaaayy better!
Monday, June 15, 2009
- ► 2010 (216)
- America's Yard Sale
- New & Reset Coupons Available!
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Scalloped Potatoes
- Cheap Family Fun: Minor League Baseball
- Wok's For Dinner: Barbecued Sloppy Joes
- Wok's For Dinner: Herbed Chicken
- Menu Plan Monday: 6/29-7/5
- Portrait of a Healthy Mom
- Wok's For Dinner: Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken & Rice)...
- When The Going Gets Tough...
- Great Giveaway at Melissa's Bargain Blog!
- Wok's For Dinner: Salads and Texas Pete
- Please Pardon The Interruption
- Tip O' Me Hat To: The Happy Housewife and Her Itch...
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken In A Pot
- June OAMM Cooking Results
- Wok's For Dinner: Baby Back Bash Ribs
- Menu Plan Monday: 6/22-6/28
- How to Get More Bricks Coupons
- Wok's For Dinner: Grilled Zucchini
- Wok's For Dinner: Crunchy Baked Chicken
- The Goody Bag
- Reynolds Kitchens Grilling Guide
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork (Turkey) Tenderloin With Gl...
- The First to Respond Wins
- Menu Plan Monday--6/15-6/21
- Wok's For Dinner: Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Zesty Italian Pasta
- Show Those Weeds Who's Boss
- FREE Sundiwear Stickers
- Breaking the Grocery Store Code
- "You've Had a Birthday...
- And The Winner Is...
- Wok's For Dinner: Parsley New Potatoes
- The Goody Bag
- Check your receipts
- Wok's For Dinner: Parmesan Chicken
- Last Day for Coupon Giveaway
- Storing and Preserving Fresh Herbs
- June OAMM & AFM Order
- Wok's For Dinner: Stir Fry Beef & Broccoli
- Menu Plan Monday--6/8-6/14
- The Anti-List
- Wok's For Dinner: Don't Know The Name But It's Del...
- Tip o' Me Hat To Moms By Heart
- Wok's For Dinner: Apricot-Glazed Pork (Turkey)
- B.A.B. Giveaway--Coupons, Coupons, Coupons!
- Did You Get Your Free Float at Sonic?
- June Once A Month Menu--Coming Soon
- Our Garden Visitor
- The Salad Spinner
- Wok's For Dinner: Cordon Bleu Casserole
- The Goody Bag
- Pasta & Spice Giveaway @ $5 Dinners
- ▼ June (54)