Friday, June 5, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Apricot-Glazed Pork (Turkey)


We ate this meal Thursday night. The recipe came from Betty Crocker and I decided to include it in my May freezer meal menu. I was a little nervous about how it would turn out. To be honest, I didn't even stick to the original recipe, which you can find here. I had made Pork Tenderloin (Turkey) with Glazed Onions, a Taste of Home recipe available here, and since the recipes both required pork tenderloin and apricots, I kind of combined the two to help me save time during my freezer meal cooking extravaganza.

Here's my version:

Apricot-Glazed Pork

Ingredients:

1 large sweet onion, chopped

1 Tbsp olive oil

3 Tbsp apricot preserves

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 bag frozen chopped peppers and onions

1 lb turkey tenderloin (I couldn't find a decently priced pork tenderloin, so I substituted with turkey instead)

Rice threads

Directions:

Saute' onions in olive oil in large skillet for 2 minutes. Stir in apricot preserves, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper; cook until onions are tender. Place tenderloin in shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray; top with onion mixture. Bake uncovered at 375F for 40-45 min. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. If freezing: Divide tenderloin into portions large enough for two meals. For Apricot-Glazed Pork: place tenderloin mixture into a freezer bag; squeeze out air & freeze; thaw 24 hours in refrigerator; heat on medium-high in skillet with frozen veggies; serve with cooked rice threads.

It was really good! Kind of had a little kick from the balsamic vinegar, tangy from the preserves. A really good blend of flavors. The kids, especially my 2 1/2 year old daughter, loved the meal. They really liked the rice threads, but hubs wasn't fond of that part of the meal. I thought it was nice to have something different, especially since it was really tasty. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts