Has there ever been a time that you bought something, thinking it was a good deal, only to find your store reduced its price the following week? Or you found it cheaper at another store?
Yeah, that's happened to me. Many, many times. Most recently, I got a rain check for CVS Purelax. The next week, I saw it advertised in Walgreens for about a dollar less, and CVS even had it priced for less than the rain check!
I ain't a perfect shopper. I'm still learning. Good thing I didn't cash in that rain check after all.
I don't always get to use coupons, because I don't always have time to hunt around for coupons, or to clip coupons, or to organize them. My printer is acting up right now, so I haven't been able to print the coupons I have found on the Internet. I can't even print coupons at work now.
I also live in a military community. Our grocery stores will not compete with the base commisary (a grocery store located on the military base for military families). And because of the commissary, we can't even get super awesome grocery stores like Kroger in our area, although I could find several Krogers if I wanted to drive an hour to the big city of Raleigh.
None of our grocery stores double or triple coupons, either.
So I kind of have to fend for myself down the grocery aisles. I do the best I can. Many of the bargains I find are through trial and error. And through stockpiling, I'm now able to replenish or add to our stock when prices are at an all-time low, like when Food Lion had canned vegetables priced at $.33 each. BTW, Food Lion is lowering prices on thousands of items, but they still have a lot to learn.
Additionally, with the help of many bloggers, like Melissa at Melissa's Bargain Blog, Lori at Moms by Heart (I love her $.50 or Less Shopping posts), and Crystal at Money Saving Mom, I am able to learn about super special deals at places like Target, Walgreens and CVS.
I've also gotten a pretty good "feel" for what a good price for a particular item should be. And also which places have the best deals for certain items. Meats: IGA, Save-A-Lot and Piggly Wiggly. Frozen veggies: IGA or Target. Canned veggies: Food Lion and Save-A-Lot. Canned fruit: Piggly Wiggly, Walgreens. Soup: Target. Canned broth: IGA, Walgreens. Bread: IGA or Food Lion. Pasta: IGA or Save-A-Lot. Produce: Save-A-Lot, Food Lion, IGA, Piggly Wiggly. Health & Beauty Aids: Target, Walgreens, CVS. Laundry: Target. Plasticware: IGA, Target.
But there are some things that I still haven't quite figured out what a good deal is. Like paper products, ESPECIALLY paper towels.
My friend Melissa gets hers for free, using ECB's and RR's at CVS and Walgreens. I simply can't get enough of a stockpile of ECB's and RR's in order to do that.
I try to use coupons when I can, I buy only when on sale, and I even buy generic. But I still haven't quite figured out what the best price should be before coupon savings.
Anybody got any suggestions? What do you pay for a roll of paper towels? Two rolls of paper towels? What about the big or double rolls that say something like 6=8, or 8=12?
Your suggestions and input are appreciated!
- Wok's For Dinner: Apple Stuffed Pork Chops
- Garden Update: New Life
- March Freezer Cooking Day Recap
- Wok's For Dinner: Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/29-4/4/10
- What's Wrong With This Picture?
- Time Out For Women: A Haircut
- Wok's For Dinner: Oven Barbecued Chicken
- Spectacular Sides: Orange Salad
- Bargain Buys & Bulk Meat Purchase
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 11
- A Better Breakfast: Pumpkin Bread
- Guest Post at Melissa's Bargain Blog
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork and Broccoli Risotto
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/22-3/28/10
- Garden Buddies
- Bulk Meat Purchases: Planning Ahead for Freezer Da...
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Corned Beef and Cabb...
- A Better Breakfast: Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 10
- Wok's For Dinner: BBQ Pork Sandwiches
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamy Chicken & Chile Enchilada...
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/15-3/21/10
- Planting Peas on St. Patrick's
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos
- Doubting Your Bargain Purchases
- Bargain Buys: A Week of Groceries Under $26!!
- Garden Update: From Seeds to Seedlings
- Wok's For Dinner: Salmon Patties (a.k.a. Krabby Pa...
- Gardening With Your Kids
- Wok's For Dinner: Lite Lemon Chicken
- Wok's For Dinner: Pizza Casserole
- March OAMM Menu
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 9
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Angel Hair Pasta
- Time Out For Women
- Spectacular Sides: Carrot & Raisin Sald
- Wok's For Dinner: Kraut Bierocks
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/8-3/14/10
- The Goody Bag
- Our 2010 Gardening Adventures Have Begun!
- Wok's For Dinner: Rustic Stuffed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Trout Au Gratin
- A Better Breakfast: Apple Date Yogurt
- Wok's For Dinner: Taco Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork Roast With Plum/Fig Sauce
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 8
- Homemade Chicken Stock
- Bargain Buys
- Wok's For Dinner: Venison and Bean Tostadas
- ▼ March (53)