It all started a couple weeks ago. We were with friends, talking about gardening. Last year was a first gardening experience for both of our families, and we were comparing notes about how things went and what we want to do differently.
We jokingly commented about working in each other's gardens. Then had an epiphany--helping each other out by working in each other's gardens was a perfect idea!
Hubs and I had gotten a jump start on our garden this year, planting seeds in Jiffy pots, which were growing like crazy already. So we agreed to start our garden first, and scheduled a helping day at our friends' house a couple weeks out.
Today was a bright, warm, glorious first day of Spring day, perfect for garden work! Hubs decided after all to expand our garden size, actually tripling the size of our garden from just under 500sq ft to 1500 sq ft, actually larger than our house. You can see in the picture below where the original garden is, with our cabbage and the rest of the broccoli growing.
Our wonderful friends showed up shortly after lunch, and we were soon working the shovels and tearing up the tough ground. There were a lot of tree roots, which slowed down our progress. But we managed to get a good section of the ground dug up, and grass, weed & tree roots pulled out and thrown into a pile to be sent to compost.
The kids for both families liked helping us relocate the earthworms we found as we were digging up roots, but other than that, they enjoyed each other's company and had fun playing. Occasionally, one or two would come and help throw roots into the pile. Our friends' oldest is 12 and he even helped work the shovel for a spell.
Ah, nothing like a hard day's work. And two men "sleeping" on the job while the womenfolk are still pulling up grass, weed & tree roots! lol
- Wok's For Dinner: Apple Stuffed Pork Chops
- Garden Update: New Life
- March Freezer Cooking Day Recap
- Wok's For Dinner: Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/29-4/4/10
- What's Wrong With This Picture?
- Time Out For Women: A Haircut
- Wok's For Dinner: Oven Barbecued Chicken
- Spectacular Sides: Orange Salad
- Bargain Buys & Bulk Meat Purchase
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 11
- A Better Breakfast: Pumpkin Bread
- Guest Post at Melissa's Bargain Blog
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork and Broccoli Risotto
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/22-3/28/10
- Garden Buddies
- Bulk Meat Purchases: Planning Ahead for Freezer Da...
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Corned Beef and Cabb...
- A Better Breakfast: Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 10
- Wok's For Dinner: BBQ Pork Sandwiches
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamy Chicken & Chile Enchilada...
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/15-3/21/10
- Planting Peas on St. Patrick's
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos
- Doubting Your Bargain Purchases
- Bargain Buys: A Week of Groceries Under $26!!
- Garden Update: From Seeds to Seedlings
- Wok's For Dinner: Salmon Patties (a.k.a. Krabby Pa...
- Gardening With Your Kids
- Wok's For Dinner: Lite Lemon Chicken
- Wok's For Dinner: Pizza Casserole
- March OAMM Menu
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 9
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Angel Hair Pasta
- Time Out For Women
- Spectacular Sides: Carrot & Raisin Sald
- Wok's For Dinner: Kraut Bierocks
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/8-3/14/10
- The Goody Bag
- Our 2010 Gardening Adventures Have Begun!
- Wok's For Dinner: Rustic Stuffed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Trout Au Gratin
- A Better Breakfast: Apple Date Yogurt
- Wok's For Dinner: Taco Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork Roast With Plum/Fig Sauce
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 8
- Homemade Chicken Stock
- Bargain Buys
- Wok's For Dinner: Venison and Bean Tostadas
- ▼ March (53)