Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wok's For Dinner: Taco Soup

Yeah, finally, woohoo, it was Taco Soup night! I've postponed making this meal for various reasons, but decided that come what may, we would have it tonight. And for a brief moment, I wondered today if we would actually have it or not. I had to work late, and the thought crossed my mind to just grab a fast food meal on my way home. But hubs must have read my mind because he came to my rescue and called me at work to let me know he was going to make the soup. The meat had already been cooked up as a freezer meal, so it was just a matter of putting it in a pot with the rest of the ingredients and heating everything up.

Taco Soup

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 pkg ranch seasoning mix
1 can Rotel tomatoes and chiles (we used the mild version)
1 can diced tomatoes (hubs used fire roasted tomatoes, yum!)
1 can corn
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
shredded Mexican-style cheese

Directions:
Brown ground beef and onion; drain grease. Add ground beef mixture with remaining ingredients, excluding cheese, into a large pot. Cover with enough water to make soup. Heat on medium heat. Serve in soup bowls with a little shredded cheese on top (yes, I realize now that I used a Black Bean soup bowl for the picture! lol).

If freezing: Brown the ground beef and onion in advance and freeze--it's that simple! :) I used a quart-size freezer bag, which I could lay flat in the freezer. To thaw, I placed it on a plate in the fridge and let it thaw out for 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts