Yeah, finally, woohoo, it was Taco Soup night! I've postponed making this meal for various reasons, but decided that come what may, we would have it tonight. And for a brief moment, I wondered today if we would actually have it or not. I had to work late, and the thought crossed my mind to just grab a fast food meal on my way home. But hubs must have read my mind because he came to my rescue and called me at work to let me know he was going to make the soup. The meat had already been cooked up as a freezer meal, so it was just a matter of putting it in a pot with the rest of the ingredients and heating everything up.
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 pkg ranch seasoning mix
1 can Rotel tomatoes and chiles (we used the mild version)
1 can diced tomatoes (hubs used fire roasted tomatoes, yum!)
1 can corn
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
shredded Mexican-style cheese
Brown ground beef and onion; drain grease. Add ground beef mixture with remaining ingredients, excluding cheese, into a large pot. Cover with enough water to make soup. Heat on medium heat. Serve in soup bowls with a little shredded cheese on top (yes, I realize now that I used a Black Bean soup bowl for the picture! lol).
If freezing: Brown the ground beef and onion in advance and freeze--it's that simple! :) I used a quart-size freezer bag, which I could lay flat in the freezer. To thaw, I placed it on a plate in the fridge and let it thaw out for 24 hours.
- Wok's For Dinner: Apple Stuffed Pork Chops
- Garden Update: New Life
- March Freezer Cooking Day Recap
- Wok's For Dinner: Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/29-4/4/10
- What's Wrong With This Picture?
- Time Out For Women: A Haircut
- Wok's For Dinner: Oven Barbecued Chicken
- Spectacular Sides: Orange Salad
- Bargain Buys & Bulk Meat Purchase
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 11
- A Better Breakfast: Pumpkin Bread
- Guest Post at Melissa's Bargain Blog
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork and Broccoli Risotto
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/22-3/28/10
- Garden Buddies
- Bulk Meat Purchases: Planning Ahead for Freezer Da...
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Corned Beef and Cabb...
- A Better Breakfast: Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 10
- Wok's For Dinner: BBQ Pork Sandwiches
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamy Chicken & Chile Enchilada...
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/15-3/21/10
- Planting Peas on St. Patrick's
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos
- Doubting Your Bargain Purchases
- Bargain Buys: A Week of Groceries Under $26!!
- Garden Update: From Seeds to Seedlings
- Wok's For Dinner: Salmon Patties (a.k.a. Krabby Pa...
- Gardening With Your Kids
- Wok's For Dinner: Lite Lemon Chicken
- Wok's For Dinner: Pizza Casserole
- March OAMM Menu
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 9
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Angel Hair Pasta
- Time Out For Women
- Spectacular Sides: Carrot & Raisin Sald
- Wok's For Dinner: Kraut Bierocks
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/8-3/14/10
- The Goody Bag
- Our 2010 Gardening Adventures Have Begun!
- Wok's For Dinner: Rustic Stuffed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Trout Au Gratin
- A Better Breakfast: Apple Date Yogurt
- Wok's For Dinner: Taco Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork Roast With Plum/Fig Sauce
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 8
- Homemade Chicken Stock
- Bargain Buys
- Wok's For Dinner: Venison and Bean Tostadas
- ▼ March (53)