I heard about this tradition a year ago, but didn't actually get a chance to try it out for myself because our garden wasn't quite ready for planting. I think I'm going to give it a try this year.
Gardeners often look to the holidays to help remind them when to plant certain seeds. One traditional planting time is to plant your peas on St. Patrick's Day. For our area, the average last frost is March 15, so St. Patrick's is the perfect time to plant peas since they prefer cooler weather and need plenty of growing time to get nice and sweet before it gets too hot for them.
If you live further north and the ground is a little hard, that's ok! Drill holes into the soil and plant your peas. You can even sow them under the snow (you can save some peas for a later planting, too).
Once your peas are ready to harvest, you'll want to eat them quickly or blanche and freeze them. Otherwise, they will turn to start within several hours of harvesting. Click here for instructions on blanching & freeze peas (this is specifically for sugar snap peas which can be eaten with the shell; however, you can shell and then blanch & freeze English peas in a similar fashion).
- Wok's For Dinner: Apple Stuffed Pork Chops
- Garden Update: New Life
- March Freezer Cooking Day Recap
- Wok's For Dinner: Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/29-4/4/10
- What's Wrong With This Picture?
- Time Out For Women: A Haircut
- Wok's For Dinner: Oven Barbecued Chicken
- Spectacular Sides: Orange Salad
- Bargain Buys & Bulk Meat Purchase
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 11
- A Better Breakfast: Pumpkin Bread
- Guest Post at Melissa's Bargain Blog
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork and Broccoli Risotto
- Wok's For Dinner: Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops
- Wok's For Dinner: Li'l Cheddar Meat Loaves
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/22-3/28/10
- Garden Buddies
- Bulk Meat Purchases: Planning Ahead for Freezer Da...
- Friday Night = Date Night
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Corned Beef and Cabb...
- A Better Breakfast: Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 10
- Wok's For Dinner: BBQ Pork Sandwiches
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamy Chicken & Chile Enchilada...
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/15-3/21/10
- Planting Peas on St. Patrick's
- Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos
- Doubting Your Bargain Purchases
- Bargain Buys: A Week of Groceries Under $26!!
- Garden Update: From Seeds to Seedlings
- Wok's For Dinner: Salmon Patties (a.k.a. Krabby Pa...
- Gardening With Your Kids
- Wok's For Dinner: Lite Lemon Chicken
- Wok's For Dinner: Pizza Casserole
- March OAMM Menu
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 9
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Angel Hair Pasta
- Time Out For Women
- Spectacular Sides: Carrot & Raisin Sald
- Wok's For Dinner: Kraut Bierocks
- Menu Plan Monday: 3/8-3/14/10
- The Goody Bag
- Our 2010 Gardening Adventures Have Begun!
- Wok's For Dinner: Rustic Stuffed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Trout Au Gratin
- A Better Breakfast: Apple Date Yogurt
- Wok's For Dinner: Taco Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork Roast With Plum/Fig Sauce
- To-Do Tuesday: Week 8
- Homemade Chicken Stock
- Bargain Buys
- Wok's For Dinner: Venison and Bean Tostadas
- ▼ March (53)