So I gathered a few things that I found on the Internet, plus my own shopper's intuition and what I've learned thanks to all my blogging friends, and put together a 30-minute presentation on budgeting. I was so nervous Thursday night! But I manage to teach two small groups a thing or two about budgeting. I don't know if I really stunk it up or if I really did a great job, but my bishop (pastor) called me up and asked me to teach it today during the combined Relief Society & Priesthood Meeting (the women & men meet together during the 3rd hour if there's a 5th Sunday in a month, and the bishop directs what the lesson will be about). Yikes! Me? Stand up in front of 100+ men and women and talk to them?!
Well, I just couldn't say no. Thankfully, I had kept everything from Thursday night's meeting, so it wasn't too much of a stretch planning something out for today. I had created a quiz of true/false statements and used that as my "opener". Most of the statements in the quiz came from the Family Finance section in Provident Living. I definitely did not make this stuff up!
I thought I'd share with you the quiz. Test your knowledge and see how well you do. Then come back tomorrow when I post the results. :)
Provident Living Quz
- ____T ____F Spending more money than you make is essential to your financial security.
- ____T ____F With the exception of a modest home, education or other vital needs, you should avoid debt.
- ____T ____F Life will be better if we surround ourselves with an abundance of things.
- ____T ____F Debt can cause tension and stress, making the debtor a slave to creditors.
- ____T ____F Those who structure their standard of living to allow a little surplus, control their circumstances. Those who spend a little more than they earn are controlled by their circumstances.
- ____T ____F Successful family finances begin with the payment of an honest tithe and the giving of a generous fast offering.
- ____T ____F It is not necessary to keep a record of your expenditures, as long as you try to keep track of your expenses in your head.
- ____T ____F A budget worksheet is a useful tool.
- ____T ____F Gradually build a financial reserve and spend that money on something frivolous.
- ____T ____F It is important to teach your family members the principles of financial management.
- ____T ____F If you are in financial trouble, there is absolutely nothing you can do except to get over it.
- ____T ____F Bankruptcy is the first resort when you become aware that you are having financial difficulty.
- ____T ____F A debt-free life is a worry-free life.