Wednesday, May 13, 2009
A great cheap (perhaps even FREE) family activity may very well be located in your town. That activity would be a summer concert series. In San Marcos, TX, where I went to college, they had "Summer in the Park" every Wednesday night. It was so relaxing to take a blanket and picnic dinner, sit out on the park lawn, and enjoy different bands play each week. The bands were always different--blue grass, jazz, country, and so forth. It was always kid-friendly, loads of fun, relaxing, and best of all free.
Shortly after moving here to North Carolina, I found out that our local town also has a summer concert series that occurs every other Thursday. These events are also free and include, not only live music, but food & cold beverages. Concerts are family-friendly, but instead of occurring in a park, they are in a large parking lot in the downtown district. However, I'm embarrassed to say that we have never taken advantage of these free concerts! The first concert was this evening and runs through August. I have a schedule, so I will need to make sure and put at least one concert onto our acitivities list for the Summer. Hmmm, which is better, Fatback & the Cadillacs or Legends of Beach? (Beach music is very popular in North Carolina, or at least this part, and anyone dancing to beach music is actually shagging, which I guess is a lot like swing dancing.)
What about your family? What free activities in your town do you like to participate in? Share your ideas here! :)
- ► 2010 (216)
- Provident Living Quiz Questions Revealed
- Be Careful What You Volunteer For
- Menu Plan Monday--6/1-6/7
- Wok's For Dinner: Cabbage Rolls
- Fighting Fatigue
- The Goody Bag
- You Know You're Too Busy When...
- Minor League Baseball Ticket BOGO
- Wok's For Dinner: Oven-Fried Chicken
- Make-It-Yourself Cleaners
- Cheap Family Fun: The Beach
- Wok's For Dinner: Kielbasa & Cabbage
- Balancing Act Basics Siesta
- Menu Plan Monday--5/25-5/31
- Those Pesky Critters
- Wok's For Dinner: Southwestern Chicken Fajita Wrap...
- The Joys of Being a Parent
- Wok's For Dinner: Rustic Stuffed Potatoes
- Wok's For Dinner: Steak Fajita Quesadillas
- Summer Salads: Tomato & Avocado Salad
- The Goody Bag
- And the Winner Is...
- Wok's For Dinner: Grilled Shrimp On Mixed Green Sa...
- Tip o' Me Hat to Melissa's Bargain Blog
- How to Apply Wallpaper Border
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken in a Pot
- Wok's For Dinner: Our Weekend Meals
- Giveaway Extended--Enter While You Still Can!
- May Once a Month Cooking Experience
- Menu Plan Monday--5/18-5/24
- A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
- B.A.B. $258+ Coupon Giveaway!!
- Wok's For Dinner: Nothing Fancy
- Frugal Family Fun: Summer Concert Series
- Failing Foward
- Wok's For Dinner: Festive Shrimp Kabobs
- Encouraging Your Budding Artist
- Wok's For Dinner: Honey Mustard Glazed Salmon
- Menu Plan Monday--5/11-5/17
- The Goody Bag
- Summer Broccoli Salad
- The Prayer Basket
- Wok's For Dinner: The Oops Meal
- Craftastic Ways to Celebrate Mom
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Marsala
- Preparing for Severe Weather Disasters
- Win a Full-Size Sample of Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet...
- When You've Got Strawberries Coming Out of Your Ea...
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Beef Strips
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamed Chicken & Biscuits, Carr...
- Guest Post on Once a Month Mom!
- Family Helps: Preserving Kids' Projects
- Menu Plan Monday--5/4-5/10
- Wok's For Dinner: Pasta Crab Casserole
- Wok's For Dinner: Pepper Steak
- May OAMM & AFM Menu
- Wok's For Dinner: Relay for Life a.k.a. Hubs is on...
- ▼ May (60)