Thursday, May 14, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry


Tonight's meal is one of my favorites. I got the recipe from one of my aunts when I was working on a family cookbook several years ago. I don't make it too often because hubs is not a huge fan of stir fry's, so I try to mix around the different stir fry's I make.

Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry

Ingredients:
8oz broccoli, fresh or frozen
1 can baby corn, optional (my husband actually likes this stuff but I can't stand it so I omit it)
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger (I usually substitute about 1 tsp ground ginger)
1 bunch green onions
2 carrots
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
2/3 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp soy sauce

Directions:
Bring a wok or large saucepan of water to a boil; cut broccoli into florets; cook broccoli in boiling water for 2 minute; drain well. Drain the can of baby corn. Cut the chicken into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Peel ginger and cut into thin matchsticks (omit if using ground ginger). Trim and diagonally slice green onions. Peel carrots and cut into matchsticks (I chose to cut mine diagonally using a crinkle cutter for this meal).

Wipe the wok dry with paper towels (you can use a large nonstick skillet in lieu of a wok). Heat oil in wok or skillet until almost smoking. Add the chicken and stir-fry until done, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Stir-fry the ginger (if using fresh), green onions and carrots for 2 minutes. Stir in the broccoli and corn and stir-fry for 1 minute. For the sauce, whisk together ginger (if using ground), broth, brown sugar, cornstarch and soy sauce until smooth. Add to the wok or skillet, along with the chicken. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through. If freezing: Place stir-fry into a gallon-size freezer bag. Remove air, zip close, and freeze. Thaw at least 24 hours in refrigerator. Heat in saucepan or skillet. Serve with rice.

I really thought that I had made enough so there would be leftovers for my lunch tomorrow, but nope, that didn't happen. Hubs and both kids had seconds on everything. It warms my heart that my kids love to eat vegetables! We were going to have carrot sticks with this meal, until I realized that there were carrots in the stir-fry already, so I omitted the carrot sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts