Thursday, May 21, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Steak Fajita Quesadillas


One thing that I miss about Texas is Tex-Mex cuisine. I love the flavors of lime, cumin, celantro, and garlic all blended together. There are Mexican restaurants here in North Carolina near where we live. Although the food is really good, it's just not quite the same as what I grew up with living outside of San Antonio and Austin.

So I was really tickled when my May Angel Food Ministries order offered steak fajita meat. In fact, I felt that I had died and gone to Heaven. Normally, if I want fajitas, then I have to make it myself because the grocery stores here don't sell preseasoned fajita meat. So when I created my freezer meal menu for this month, I decided to include Steak Fajita Quesadillas--a blend of my two favorite Tex-Mex meals, fajitas and quesadillas. Now I did not make a freezer meal out of this; instead, I decided to make it fresh the day of.

Steak Fajita Quesadillas

Ingredients:
1 lb steak fajita meat (or 1 lb beef skirt steak, seasoned with your favorite Mexican spices)
1/2 cup shredded cheese
10 flour tortillas

Directions:
Cut fajita meat into thin strips. Cook in skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. You can add onion and/or bell pepper slices or omit; I did not include onion or bell pepper for this meal. When meat is done, remove from skillet and place on a plate. Clean skillet with paper towel. Take a couple tortillas and place on skillet. Add a spoonful of fajita meat and little bit of cheese onto 1/2 of each tortilla. Fold over tortilla half that is not covered with meat or cheese. Allow tortilla to brown until golden, then flip tortilla and brown other side. Remove and transfer to a plate. Cut heated quesadillas into 3 triangles. Serve with your favorite Mexican side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts