Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Festive Shrimp Kabobs


These kabobs were a nice break from tradition. I don't make kabobs as often as I would like because my husband is not a fan. In fact, I have to pull everything off the skewer before he'll even eat it! The recipe says to alternate apples & shrimp on the skewers; I knew my family would shy away from marinated, broiled apples, so I just left them off. Good thing, too, because I only have 4 metal skewers, and didn't have room for the apple slices after putting on all the shrimp.

Festive Shrimp Kabobs

Ingredients:
2 apples, cut into 24 pieces
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined & cooked
1/2 cup Italian dressing
1/4 cup lemon juice

Directions:
In a medium bow, combine the apples, shrimp, dressing and lemon juice. Marinate for 1 hour. Using a slotted spoon, remove the apples and shrimp from the marinade. Discard marinade. Alternate apples and shrimp on 24 small skewers. If freezing: Place marinade, shrimp & apples into a freezer bag and freeze instead of serving. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. I did take it out of the frig to finish thawing on the counter the last 2 1/2 hours (left work early because I'm still running on empty from being sick). Place shrimp and apples (optional, of course) on skewers. Broil in oven for about 3 minutes per side to heat up.

My son, who told me he did not like shrimp, took one bite and was hooked! I had given him 3 shrimp to start off with, and he devoured them, then asked for and ate two of my shrimp. I take it he liked the shrimp. :) We all enjoyed the corn on the cob, the kids especially. My husband, who is not a cob fan, had his corn off the cob. Still just as tasty. I had intended on making teriyaki noodles for tonight's meal when I planned this week's menu, but I changed my mind and plan on making it later in the week. So instead of the noodles, we had pickles and pears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts