Friday, May 22, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Rustic Stuffed Potatoes


Hubs was out this evening doing a service project, and I was so tempted to just resort to PB&J sandwiches for tonight's dinner. But I didn't and instead the kids and I enjoyed a really tasty meal of corn on the cob, celery sticks (Ants on a Log for the kids, except they refused to eat the "logs") and Rustic Stuffed Potatoes. I cooked up the potatoes tonight, but made the stuffing part as a freezer meal earlier this month.

I found this recipe from the American Heart Association Low-Calorie Cookbook, which you can view here, so it's a healther alternative to a traditional loaded baked potato. The recipe calls for red potatoes, but you can use whatever kind you have or prefer. I used plain ol' Idaho potatoes and they still taste great. :)

If you sign up for the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women national program, which promotes awareness and prevention of heart disease, the #1 killer of women, you can get free recipes from the A.H.A.'s cookbooks. I've tried several recipes on my family, not just Rustic Stuffed Potatoes, and they're all really good. I developed preeclampsia when I was 36 weeks pregnant with my son, and he had to be delivered prematurely due to the severity of my condition. After that, I battled borderline blood pressure for several months until it actually crossed into the high category about the time my son turned 1. With the assistance of medication for a couple months and some tips I learned from Go Red For Women, I was able to reduce my blood pressure back into the low range where it has remained ever since, including while I was pregnant with my daughter, and I haven't had to take any medication since it dropped back to acceptable levels. I owe a debt of gratitude to Go Red For Women for helping me get my heart back into & staying heart healthy, so I hope you don't mind me taking a little opportunity to get on my soapbox and ask you to check it out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts