Thursday, July 9, 2009

Homemade Yogurt

To start, I have to add a little disclaimer to this post. I have never made homemade yogurt; however, I'm always up for a challenge and if it's something I can do with my family and get my kids involved, then I'm willing to give it a try.

I never knew that I could make yogurt...at home! I always thought only the manufacturers were the experts when it came to yogurt. I heard once that it takes yogurt to make yogurt (you know, because of all the bacteria that is needed to make yogurt). And that's about all I ever heard.

My friend Kathryn posted a note about making Homemade Yogurt. The recipe is a combination from Hillbilly Housewife and Crockpot365. She is very adamant that it is fun to make and tastes great. Needless to say, she piqued my interest. As much as I love yogurt, I'm a little nervous about making my own. One day, I'll get brave enough. Ooh, actually, the thought just occurred that I could add it to my July once a month cooking as a breakfast item. The kids absolutely LOVE yogurt, so this would make a nice dish for them, and for me, too.

Wanna give it a try, too? Here's Kathryn's recipe for ya'!

Homemade Yogurt

Ingredients:
7 1/2 cups warm tap water
3 1/3 cups instant nonfat dry milk
6 oz store-bought, plain yogurt with active yogurt cultures (read the label to be sure)

Directions:
Combine tap water & powdered milk into a large saucepan. Stir well and let it sit a few minutes, then stir again until all of the dry milk is dissolved. Heat over medium-low heat until it reaches 180° (use a candy thermometer to accurately gauge temperature of milk). Remove saucepan from the stove; cool milk to 115°. Add the plain yogurt to the warm milk (make sure the temperature is not above 115°. Then dump the yogurt/warm milk into a 4-qt or larger crockpot. Stir mixture. Put the lid back on your crockpot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crock for insulation. Let sit for 8 hours (you can do this while you're sleeping). You'll have yogurt in the morning. You can add your favorite fruit to your yogurt. To sweeten, add your favorite sweetner, such as brown sugar or honey.

Thanks, Kathryn, for sharing how your version of homemade yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts