Monday, July 13, 2009

Maximizing Your Meat Purchases

I recently got a great deal on a pork loin at Piggly Wiggly. I decided to go ahead and buy it, then cut it up to make pork chops and such.

Weighing just under 8lbs, I spent $11.59. Seemed pricey at first, since I'm used to only paying $3-$4 on pork chops. I never paid attention to the price per pound because I used to shop exclusively at Wal-Mart (long story, but I am boycotting that so-called "store"), and I don't remember ever seeing advertised prices on anything but 3lb bags of boneless-skinless chicken breasts. So now that I've converted to working the sales ads at the grocery stores, it's been a bit of a stretch for me to figure out what a good deal on meat is, and what a good deal isn't. But I think I'm learning. Here's what I did.

I decided to cut up the pork loin into several chops and a couple mini-tenderloins, enough to make 7 meals. I then planned on using my food saver to vacuum-seal them up and pop them into the freezer until my freezer meal cooking day on July 18.

I even went so far as to whip out the electric knife so I could get more evenly-sized cuts of meat. I was feeling kinda' sassy, and since the electric knife only gets used once a year at Thanksgiving, I figured, why not? :)
Here's my big pile of meat that I cut up. Had I been thinking ahead of time, I would have taken a "before" picture. I was really aiming for 7 meals, but was afraid I'd only come out with 5 when I was trying to visually estimate where my slices would be.
Just like I thought, I didn't get 7 meals' worth of meat. No, instead, I got 10 meals' worth!! So instead of the major hiccup I initially experienced paying $11.59 for a big pork loin, each meals' worth cost me about $1.16. And THAT is a savings that I can live with!!

What great deals have you come across recently? Please share in the comment section. I'm looking forward to knowing that I'm not the only meat freak. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I have fallen in love with pork lately, too. There are so many things that you can do with pork loin and pork chops and my kids love it, too (they think it's chicken and I don't correct them). The prices on pork have been great, so I have been stocking up!

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts