Friday, July 10, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Sausage Zucchini Skillet

Wow, this was really, really good. It smelled so good as I heated it up. I was in such a hurry to start eating that I completely forgot to take a picture! Oops.

I got the recipe from Taste of Home, in my quest for more recipes with squash ingredients. Our garden is still producing record amounts of squash & zucchini. We've given away quite a lot, in addition to slicing/dicing/chopping/freezing our fair share.

Sausage Zucchini Skillet

Ingredients:
1 lb Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed (I used 1 lb of ground mild turkey sausage)
2 large zucchini, chopped
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (14 1/2 oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups hot cooked rice

Directions:
Crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in tomatoes and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Serve with rice. If freezing: Do not cook rice. Instead, place cooked zucchini/sausage mixture into a gallon-size freezer bag, squeeze out air, seal & freeze. Thaw at least 24 hours in refrigerator. Heat in skillet or in microwave and serve over cooked rice.

I really did like this dish. The sausage I bought had no heat, just yummy flavor, and was perfect for the kids. Everyone ate well, and I will definitely make this meal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts