Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Hungarian Goulash

I had received either sirloin or ribeye (can't remember which) in my June Angel Food Ministries order, and had added this dish to my freezer meal plan to utilize this cut of meat. I've made it several times before, but this was the first time I had turned it into a freezer meal.

Hungarian Goulash

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs round steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I used either ribeye or sirloin, can't remember which)
3 Tbsp oil
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes (I had run out of canned tomatoes, so I used a small can of tomato sauce)
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup evaporated milk (I used the skim version)

Directions:
Brown meat in hot oil in large saucepan. Mix together four, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir into meat mixture. Add onion, tomatoes, and water. Cover. Simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Gradually stir in evaporated milk into hot mixture. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve over hot buttered noodles (optional).

It tasted really good, but I think I'll have to make modifications if I use it as a freezer meal again. The taste was fine, but not the texture. Next time, I'll use canned tomatoes instead of tomato sauce. And I'll also omit the evaporated milk and save it until serving day. So here are the freezer meal instructions: If freezing: Use canned whole or canned diced tomatoes, not the tomato sauce like I did. Prepare as directed, except do not add evaporated milk. Place in gallon-size freezer bag, squeeze out air, seal and pop into freezer. Thaw at least 24 hours in refrigerator. Heat in large skillet and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts