Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Chicken And Squash

This is a meal that I got in a recipe card that was included with my May Angel Food Ministries order. The recipe sounded really good, and we've harvested an absolute ton of squash from our garden, so it made perfect sense to add this recipe to my June once a month freezer menu.

Chicken and Squash

Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used 2 tbsp olive oil)
2.5-3lb chicken leg quarters
1 tsp salt
4 chayote, zucchini or summer squash, halved, seeded and diced (I used 2 large summer squash from our garden)
4 red potatoes, diced
4 large Roma tomatoes, halved and sliced (I used two Roma tomatoes and sliced them lengthwise into quarters)
1/2 medium white onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3-4 whole jalapeno peppers, optional (I omitted)
salt
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano (I used about 1 tbsp fresh oregano from our garden)
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with 1 tsp salt; add to the pan and cook, turning once or twice, until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Pour off the excess fat. Add the squash, tomatoes, onion, garlic and jalapenos (if usin). Season with additional salt if needed, the oregano, and pepper. Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the squash is fork-tender, about 15 minutes. If freezing: After cooking as directed, let dish cool in skillet. Then place into a gallon-size freezer bag. I actually had to double-bag because my first bag broke. Oops. Place freezer bag into freezer; thaw 36-48 hours in refrigerator (mine was one big ball of ice when I took it out of the freezer). Place a chicken leg quarter onto each plate (I cut off a leg for both kids). Add vegetables. Heat in microwave about 3 minutes.

This meal was fantastic and I will definitely add it to our list of favorites. My son ate an entire chicken leg, completing surprising me. Both kids ate all the vegetables as well. Hubs and I enjoyed it. I really thought that the potatoes would turn to mush since I made put this meal into the freezer after cooking it up a couple weeks ago. But nope, it was as though I had just cooked it fresh on the stove. I was very surprised and very well-pleased with how good it turned out.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts