Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Baked Macaroni

I made this recipe using ground turkey that I bought on sale and with a coupon for dirt cheap! It's a recipe I found from Health Media while participating in a Blue Cross Blue Shield health program last year. It sounded good, so I printed up the recipe. I added it to my freezer meal menu for June and cooked it up Once A Month Mom style. :)

Baked Macaroni

Ingredients:
1/2 lb extra-lean ground beef (or ground turkey, which is what I used)
1 small onion, diced, about 1/2 cup
1 box (7oz) whole-wheat elbow macaroni (I just used regular out of convenience)
1 jar (15oz) reduced-sodium spaghetti sauce (again, used regular out of convenience)
6 Tbsp Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray. In a nonstick frying pan, cook ground beef (or ground turkey) and onion until the meat is browned and the onion is translucent. Drain well. Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water an bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, 10-12 minutes, or according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly. Add the cooked pasta ad spaghetti sauce to the meat and onions. Stir to mix evenly. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top; cover with foil. Bake until bubbly, about 25-35 minutes. If freezing: Omit the baking step. After cooking up the meat/onion and pasta, mix all ingredients together. Place in gallon-size freezer bag and stick in your freezer. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. Then on meal day, bake as indicated and serve.

For being a "healtified" recipe, this is a fairly good meal. I have no qualms about using whole-wheat pasta and reduced-sodium spaghetti sauce. Didn't have any on hand, and didn't add it to my grocery list since I already had the "regular" versions in the pantry. I can at least take comfort knowing I used ground turkey. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts