Monday, July 6, 2009

Rebates That Pay!

Today was a good day for me. I came home and found three rebate checks in my mailbox!! Woohoo!

Just when I had given up all hope of being paid these rebates, I received $2.99 from Reynold's Earth Day Rebate, $5 from Birds Eye Madagascar Rebate Offer, and $3.25 from The Caregivers Marketplace.

I've always been hesitant to complete & submit rebate forms for reimbursement. I've been burned before. The most recent was a rebate for Microsoft Money a few years ago. A legitimate company, and although I submitted the rebate form with all supporting documentation, we never received the $80 rebate we were entitled to. And I was an idiot and didn't make copies of anything that I submitted, so I didn't bother calling to find out what happened to the reimbursement.

Thankfully, that didn't happen this time. Instead, I received over $10 in what I like to call "FREE" money!

Some general rules when completing and sending off a rebate offer:

1) Complete the rebate form in its entirety. Pay close attention to fields that are marked "required." If it doesn't apply, mark it with "n/a".

2) Make sure you have all your supporting documentation--receipts, UPC symbol(s), rebate form.

3) Ensure that your supporting documentation will not get separated from the rebate form upon arrival at the rebate processing center. I actually taped my receipts and UPC symbols to the rebate form so nothing would accidentally fall out when they opened the envelope.

4) Check the rebate to see if it requires you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. If it does, make sure that you include it with your rebate request and documentation. I have seen some rebate forms in the past with this requirement.


5) Give your rebate some time. If it says "4-6" weeks, wait at least 6 weeks before panicking and calling the Better Business Bureau. Last year, I submitted a $3 rebate request to Fram. After 3 months, I still hadn't receivd the rebate. Fram had sent me an email confirming they had received my rebate request, and it included a phone number for Customer Service. I called them up and explained that I had never received my rebate. I had a check by the end of the month. I know that it was only $3, not a lot to be fussing over, but I had given them a reasonable amount of time to send me a check. And I wouldn't have even bought the products if there hadn't been a rebate, so I felt entitled to my reimbursement.

Good luck with your next rebate request!

3 comments:

  1. If you haven't already, check out rebatetracker.com. It's a cool, easy way to keep track of your rebates! I also keep a rebate folder on my computer and scan a copy of everything before I send it in. (Now if I could just REMEMBER to send in my rebates/receipts!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been burned by these, too. But they can work out to be great! I got a $2.50 check yesterday. I honestly don't remember what for. A nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your rebate check, too, Simply Things Family!! It's almost like Christmas. :)

    Melissa, I've never heard of rebatetracker.com. I know you like to be organized, so from what you've said, it must be a good method of tracking those rebates. I goofed up on one rebate offer. Bought all the stuff, then lost my receipt! But at least I'm 3 for 4, so that's progress. :)

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts