Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Asian Chicken Salad


We had a nice "healthified" supper tonight. It was light and flavorful, perfect for a hot Summer's day here in North Carolina. A friend from college gave me this recipe about 8 years ago, but I haven't made this salad in several years. Pretty much forgot I had the recipe. But I came across it when I was planning the menu for our June freezer meals, and decided it was worth giving it another try since I remembered enjoying the salad when I've had it before.

Asian Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
Salad:
6 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup slivered almonds (I forgot to add this)
1 pkg chicken-flavored ramen noodles, broken up
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup sunflower kernels (I forgot to add this, too, oops so much for sticking to the recipe :)
1 cup chopped cooked chicken

Dressing:
2/3 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
ramen seasoning packet
1/3 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper

Directions:
Mix together ingredients for dressing in a large bowl. Add in remaining ingredients and toss together. If using as a freezer meal: Cook chicken ahead of time, place in freezer bag & freeze. Thaw 24 hours in refrigerator. Then add to recipe as indicated above.

My son ate every of this salad, but my daughter took one bite and wouldn't touch the rest. :\ Hubs really was hesitant to eat any of it and couldn't even remember that I had ever mad this. But, after eating what was on his plate, he surprised me by getting up and coming back with seconds. I mean, I was very surprised, considering the amount of fussing from him that he didn't think he'd like it. He did a complete 180, however, and told me that it tasted much better than he thought. Yeah! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts