Saturday, July 25, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos

This meal was a big hit with the entire family when I first made it a few months ago. As with most recipes, I made modifications to it based on our pantry supply and our tastes. The original recipe says to use dried apricots. I omitted that the first time I made it; this time, I decided to use 1 Tbsp of apricot preserves to see how it would change the flavor and if it'd be worth doing again.

Slow-Cooked Pork Tacos

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless sirloin roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp apricot preserves
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Dash hot pepper sauce
Flour tortillas
Toppings of your choice (we used a little sour cream)

Directions:
In a 3-qt slow cooker, combine all ingredients, excluding tortillas & toppings. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until meat is very tender. Shred pork with two forks. If freezing: Place pork mixture into a gallon-size freezer bag and freeze; thaw at least 24 hours in refrigerator; heat in microwave.

The apricot preserves definitely added an interesting twist to the smoking cumin flavor. However, I don't think I'll add apricot anything to this recipe in the future. It just detracted too much from the whole pork taco flavors. Maybe I was just spoiled the first time I made this. Baby girl kept insisting all day long that she was hungry, even after eating breakfast, lunch, and snacks inbetween. Her "tummy was still hungry" as I was preparing super. But she ate only one bite of her taco and told me she didn't like it. Then she insisted that she was full. Then 5 minutes later, as we were on our way out the door to go grocery shopping, she proceeded to tell me that she was hungry.

Go figure.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I appreciate all the recipes you post. We are always looking for something new.

    ReplyDelete

Previous Posts