I've been in denial for the past week. My little girl is growing up--no!! She turned 3 in October, and about a week ago, started calling me something I thought I wouldn't hear until she was about 9 or 10.
The word? Mom.
Growing up, I called my mother "Mommy" until I was 13 or 14 years old. I was a teen and had been feeling some peer pressure from friends because I called my mother "Mommy." I could tell it pained her when I started to call her "Mom," but I felt like I needed a more grown-up title for her (she had said many times that she didn't ever want to be called "Ma" or "Mama"). She took it in stride and tried to not let it bother her. I guess since I was her only daughter, she enjoyed being my "Mommy," not just my "Mom."
And I guess that I took for granted that I would be a "Mommy" for many years to come. My son is 5 1/2 yrs old and still calls me Mommy. But my daughter is my baby, for now at least until we have our next child (nothing on the horizon as of yet).
But out of the blue one day a week ago, she called me "Mom" and that term of endearment has stuck ever since. I have no clue where it came from. Her brother calls me Mommy, her cousins call my sister-in-law Mommy...maybe from a friend in her preschool?
I thought at first that it was just a phase, something she'd say a few times and that'd be it. But no, I've heard that word come out of her mouth every day ever since, and "Mommy" has ceased to be a part of her vocabulary.
I, too, feel some of the pain that my mother felt when I started calling her "Mom." And I, too, am trying to take it in stride. I know that my kids will continue to grow and try to do things their own way as they are their own unique person. They are both precious in my sight, and either way, I love being their Mommy/Mom.
- ► 2010 (216)
- From Mommy To Mom
- Menu Plan Monday: 11/30-12/6/09
- Wok's For Dinner: Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: Cobb-Style Chicken Sandwiches
- Wok's For Dinner: Meatless Sicilian Supper
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- And the winner is...
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- Out of Stock? How About a Rain Check?
- Bargain Buy
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham Jambalaya
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Divan
- Softsoap Nutri Serums Giveaway: It's not too late!...
- Menu Plan Monday--11/23-11/29/09
- It's A Date!
- A Frugal-Minded Husband
- Money-Wise: Using Bulk Meat
- Homemade Chicken Broth
- GIVEAWAY!! Softsoap Nutri Serums
- Leftovers ~ Schmeftovers
- Wok's For Dinner: Baked Pork Chops With Apple Slic...
- Coupon Myths: From All You
- November OAMM Freezer Meal Day Recap
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamy Beef Over Noodles
- The 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine
- Menu Plan Monday: 11/16-11/22
- Walgreens Rocks!
- Wok's For Dinner: Meatloaf Pie
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork and Broccoli Risotto
- The Healing Power of Nature
- Wok's For Dinner: Mexican Chicken Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Sausage Zucchini Skillet
- Wok's For Dinner: Chunky Picadillo Chili Wraps
- Wok's For Dinner: Orange Pepper Steak
- November OAMM Menu
- Menu Plan Monday--11/9-11/15/09
- Target Rocks!
- I've Been Dumped!
- Freezer Meals Time Savers: Getting Ready
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Baked Chicken
- Wok's For Dinner: Smokin' Grilled Pork Chops
- Cheap Family Fun: A Train Ride
- Wok's For Dinner: Upside-Down Deep Dish Pizza
- Freezing Peas & Green Beans
- Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Parsley Dumplings
- Wok's For Dinner: Greek Lemon Chicken
- Menu Plan Monday--11/2-11/8/09
- ▼ November (47)