Friday, November 13, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Pork and Broccoli Risotto

This was inadvertently labeled "Pork Broccoli Delight" when I created my menu plan for this week, but it really was supposed to be "Pork Broccoli Risotto." Gee, I wonder who goofed that up...? :D

Pork Broccoli Risotto

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless pork chops, cooked and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups broccoli florets
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (I used one from my garden)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 can beef broth plus enough water to make 2 1/4 cups
1/2 cup milk
Parmesan

Directions:
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, bell pepper, garlic, onion, salt and pepper and saute' in oil about 4 or 5 minutes. Stir in rice, beef broth & water. Heat to boiling, then cover and reduce heat. Simimer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and broth has been absorbed. Stir in milk and cooked, diced pork. Heat until hot. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

If freezing: The way I made this a freezer meal is by cooking the pork ahead of time. I had bought a large pork loin and cut it up into chops. I left some of the loin in sections the size of a small roast. I then baked the pork roast in the oven, then cut it into 1-inch cubes, sealed it in a food saver bag and froze it. I thawed the pork in the fridge for 24 hours then prepared the meal as indicated above.

This was definitely an inexpensive meal, although it wasn't the tastiest. It could have used more salt. A lot more salt. But still a pretty cheap and easy meal to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts