Sunday, November 1, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Greek Lemon Chicken

This was the first real homecooked meal I made for us since coming back home from our trip. It was inspired by a recipe for Greek Lemon Turkey in the November 2008 Taste of Home Holiday: Thanksgiving recipe magazine I got for free last year. I'm not sure what makes it "Greek"...?? But since I didn't have a turkey laying around, and I did have a couple of large bone-in chicken breasts, I decided to substitute the chicken in lieu of the turkey and cooked this up in my September freezer meal cooking day.

Greek Lemon Chicken

Ingredients:
2 large bone-in chicken breasts
2 garllic cloves, peeled and sliced thin
1 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp all-purpose flour
1 oven roasting bag
1 onion, quartered
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

Directions:
Make several deep slits into the chicken and insert a garlic slice into each slit. Combine the oregano, lemon juice, salt and pepper; rub over chicken. Place flour into oven bag and shake well. Place oven bag in a roasting pan (13x9x2-inch works good). Add vegetables and chicken to bag. Close bag with a nylon tie, or twist into a knot. Do not allow bag to hang over pan. Bake, uncovered, in 325 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees.

If freezing: Prepare as directed above; let chicken stand for at least 15 minutes, then remove chicken meat from bones. Discard skin & bones, or use to make homemade chicken broth. Place roasted chicken meat & vegetables with juices into a gallon-size freezer bag. Squeeze out air, seal and lay flat, then freeze. Thaw 24-48 hours in fridge. Heat in microwave or saucepan.

This meal had great flavor--definitely lemony, which I liked. But I was so disappointed that the vegetables were not fully cooked! The oven bag had ballooned up and was stuck to the top of the oven when I baked this meal on freezer meal day, and since the meat thermometer read 180 degrees for the chicken, I thought everything was done. But I don't remember if I tested the vegetables to make sure they were done, too. The carrots & potatoes tasted well enough, but they definitely had a bite that we were not used to. I'm not sure what I would do differently next time. Maybe just pop the oven bag and let it cook a little longer, but then the chicken might dry out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts