This was the first real homecooked meal I made for us since coming back home from our trip. It was inspired by a recipe for Greek Lemon Turkey in the November 2008 Taste of Home Holiday: Thanksgiving recipe magazine I got for free last year. I'm not sure what makes it "Greek"...?? But since I didn't have a turkey laying around, and I did have a couple of large bone-in chicken breasts, I decided to substitute the chicken in lieu of the turkey and cooked this up in my September freezer meal cooking day.
Greek Lemon Chicken
2 large bone-in chicken breasts
2 garllic cloves, peeled and sliced thin
1 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp all-purpose flour
1 oven roasting bag
1 onion, quartered
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
Make several deep slits into the chicken and insert a garlic slice into each slit. Combine the oregano, lemon juice, salt and pepper; rub over chicken. Place flour into oven bag and shake well. Place oven bag in a roasting pan (13x9x2-inch works good). Add vegetables and chicken to bag. Close bag with a nylon tie, or twist into a knot. Do not allow bag to hang over pan. Bake, uncovered, in 325 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees.
If freezing: Prepare as directed above; let chicken stand for at least 15 minutes, then remove chicken meat from bones. Discard skin & bones, or use to make homemade chicken broth. Place roasted chicken meat & vegetables with juices into a gallon-size freezer bag. Squeeze out air, seal and lay flat, then freeze. Thaw 24-48 hours in fridge. Heat in microwave or saucepan.
This meal had great flavor--definitely lemony, which I liked. But I was so disappointed that the vegetables were not fully cooked! The oven bag had ballooned up and was stuck to the top of the oven when I baked this meal on freezer meal day, and since the meat thermometer read 180 degrees for the chicken, I thought everything was done. But I don't remember if I tested the vegetables to make sure they were done, too. The carrots & potatoes tasted well enough, but they definitely had a bite that we were not used to. I'm not sure what I would do differently next time. Maybe just pop the oven bag and let it cook a little longer, but then the chicken might dry out...
- ► 2010 (216)
- From Mommy To Mom
- Menu Plan Monday: 11/30-12/6/09
- Wok's For Dinner: Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Wok's For Dinner: Cobb-Style Chicken Sandwiches
- Wok's For Dinner: Meatless Sicilian Supper
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- And the winner is...
- Wok's For Dinner: Hot Pork Sandwich With Gravy
- Out of Stock? How About a Rain Check?
- Bargain Buy
- Wok's For Dinner: Ham Jambalaya
- Wok's For Dinner: Chicken Divan
- Softsoap Nutri Serums Giveaway: It's not too late!...
- Menu Plan Monday--11/23-11/29/09
- It's A Date!
- A Frugal-Minded Husband
- Money-Wise: Using Bulk Meat
- Homemade Chicken Broth
- GIVEAWAY!! Softsoap Nutri Serums
- Leftovers ~ Schmeftovers
- Wok's For Dinner: Baked Pork Chops With Apple Slic...
- Coupon Myths: From All You
- November OAMM Freezer Meal Day Recap
- Wok's For Dinner: Creamy Beef Over Noodles
- The 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine
- Menu Plan Monday: 11/16-11/22
- Walgreens Rocks!
- Wok's For Dinner: Meatloaf Pie
- Wok's For Dinner: Pork and Broccoli Risotto
- The Healing Power of Nature
- Wok's For Dinner: Mexican Chicken Stew
- Wok's For Dinner: Sausage Zucchini Skillet
- Wok's For Dinner: Chunky Picadillo Chili Wraps
- Wok's For Dinner: Orange Pepper Steak
- November OAMM Menu
- Menu Plan Monday--11/9-11/15/09
- Target Rocks!
- I've Been Dumped!
- Freezer Meals Time Savers: Getting Ready
- Wok's For Dinner: Saucy Baked Chicken
- Wok's For Dinner: Smokin' Grilled Pork Chops
- Cheap Family Fun: A Train Ride
- Wok's For Dinner: Upside-Down Deep Dish Pizza
- Freezing Peas & Green Beans
- Chicken & Vegetable Stew With Parsley Dumplings
- Wok's For Dinner: Greek Lemon Chicken
- Menu Plan Monday--11/2-11/8/09
- ▼ November (47)