Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Wok's For Dinner: Baked Pork Chops With Apple Slices

Ever have one of those days where nothing goes quite as planned? That was my day, both at work and at home thisevening. As for tonight's meal, I planned to have potatoes and plums. But the meeting that was planned for Thursday got pushed back to this evening, so I just didn't have time to make the potatoes, and the plums were too right and had to get sent to the compost pile. So in lieu of potatoes, we had crackers. And instead of plums, I opened a can of sliced peaches. Minor modifications, but considering my day at work (and I'll spare you the details), I guess I expected nothing less. :)

Baked Pork Chops With Apple Slices

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
6 bone-in pork loin chops, 1-1/2 inches thick each (I used 3 chops)
1/4 cup water
1 jar (12ozs) currant jelly (I used a couple tablespoons apple butter)
3-4 unpeeled green tart apples, thinly sliced (I just used red delicious apples)

Directions:
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Coat the pork chops. Place in a greased 15-in x 10-in x 1-in baking pan (I used a much smaller pan since I only had 3 chops). Add water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 F for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160 F. In a large skillet, melt the jelly. Add apples. Cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes or until apples are tender, turning occasionally. Serve with pork chops.

If freezing: Cook as directed then place all ingredients in a gallon-size freezer bag. Squeeze out all air, seal and freeze. Thaw 24 hours in fridge; heat in microwave; serve.

This didn't turn out as great as the last time I made it. (It definitely didn't look as pretty!). But the pork chops tasted really well. The apples tasted like sweetened pork chops, a rather unusual flavor for apples. Still, something different to eat and it wasn't too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Posts